6.5x284

The 6.5x284 is proported to be the hot new fad in sniper rifle calibers... some say effective to 1500m but I'm a bit more sceptical. Wildcat only.

Consider a shiny new Winchester Classic in .264 Magnum- you might be able to find brass for this one- and you wouldn't need custom dies, reamers, barrels...

More buzz about this caliber can sometimes be found at www.snipercountry.com

The 6.5x284 is popular with long range match shooters. Some people report 3100+ with 142gr match bullets and long barrels. As good or better balisticly with less recoil than the .30 magnums. Norma is making brass, but it isn't available yet (at least that I have seen). You can get more information on the Shooters highpower board. http://guntalk.shooters.com/guntalk/Highpower/CURRENT.html

This is a link to the full list of topics, dating back to 1997. Be warned, it takes some time to compile and load, even on a fast connection. Bring up this page, then search for 284 and you should find all sorts of info. http://guntalk.shooters.com/guntalk/Highpower/ALL_TOPICS.html

The only reason to use the 6.5x284 is if you are scrimping on weight and need to use a short action. The rebated rim case and big body give it about the same powder capacity as a .30-06.
The original .284 win was touted as shooting like a .270 in a short case. It never really caught on except with wildcatters and sheep hunters that wanted high performance lightweight rifles that cost an arm and a leg.
The .30-06 or .270 necked down to 6.5 make an awesome round, and it would be easier to get brass for.
If I build any wildcats this year, the first will be a 6.5-06.

[This message has been edited by MAD DOG (edited January 08, 2000).]

The 6.5X284 has several advantages when chambered in a rifle with a magazine long enough to allow bullets to be seated out so they don't take up powder space. Its powder capacity is about ideal for the 6.5mm bore - not over-bore capacity like the 264 WinMag, which is notorius for short barrel life, yet enough capacity to allow high enough velocity for long-range shooting. Winchester had discontinued production of the parent 284 case, but demand brought them back into at least limited production. As noted above, Norma has begun to produce cases, though they will probably be in short supply until High Power shooters get all they want. The selection of match-quality bullets is another plus. One pitfall I've read about is that many of the chambering reamers for this cartridge are a little too big at the case head, causing cases to expand and primer pockets to loosen prematurely. This can be overcome with a properly dimensioned reamer. There has been quite a lot of discussion about this cartridge over on the High Power board at GunTalk.

Back