6.5 x 284 norma returns

stagpanther

My 280 AI barrel from criterion continued to show signs of abnormal expansion at the top of the case web on fired brass--even when firing factory ammo, even after pulling the barrel and resetting the headspace several times. That little voice inside told me to pull the barrel and send it to Criterion.

As a reality check, I decided to put a new 6.5 x 284 barrel from EA Brown on for $260--it's 1:8 twist @ 26". Here is the very first group down the tube. Without the flyer I otherwise had a nice 1 holer going.

attachment.php

attachment.php

No unusual signs on the brass.

Attachments

• IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 6.5-284atip135gr61.7lrt.jpg
    6.5-284atip135gr61.7lrt.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I have a .25-284. She’s a flat shooter barrel burning bit_h for sure. Very accurate. My favorite coyote gun bar none. These new stocks they have now sure are nice. I really like your set up.

I have a .25-284. She’s a flat shooter barrel burning bit_h for sure. Very accurate. My favorite coyote gun bar none. These new stocks they have now sure are nice. I really like your set up.
Thanks--pretty encouraging when the first bullets down the tube group that well. ;) I think if the barrel is easy enough to change--which on a remage or RPR it is--then 200 to 300 bucks is a tolerable expense every 1000 rounds or so. I'm very partial to 284 win case cartridges--they seem to have the right balance of burn efficiency, recoil and accuracy for most everything you can neck to them. MDT stocks are awesome--I love em. The only drawback was my AICS magazine which I originally bought for 300 Weatherby magnum was just a tad long to work with the shorter 6.5 x 284 without modifying the feed lips--so I ordered a 30-06 compatible magazine. MDT usually gets my order out the door within a few hours of making it.

Last edited:
Back