6.5 MPC

thesheepdog

So I posted a thread a while back about getting a 6X45 or 6.5MPC cartridge to replace my 6.5 Grendel (long story).

I opted for the 6.5 MPC as I like the 6.5 calibers more.

SSK industries is the manufacturer for the MPC right now. There are some owners on the web, here and there, but overall this cartridge just isn't seeing popularity.
The 6.5 MPC is .223/5.56 brass cut down to 42mm (1.630 before resizing) and necked up to 6.5mm to allow for harder hitting, heavier bullets. This offers an edge to the 5.56 caliber for hunting purposes, as well as long range advantage (if you can get a good velocity load) without needing to change any other AR-15 part, except the barrel. This caliber also will fit in any standard AR mag.
http://sskindustries.com/6-5-mpc

Well I wanted to try this catridge out-after I sold my Grendel upper-I gave SSK a call. A nice lady by the name of Terry answered the phone, and though she was new, she was able to assist me quite well with ordering a 6.5 MPC AR barrel. SSK does not list "options" of what barrel lengths, profiles, gas systems, threading, etc on their website, so I had to gather all this information on the phone to get "what I want". Eventually I was transferred to JD Jones himself about what barrel options I could get.
So after speaking with him I opted for the Colt HBAR profile, 20" long with a mid length gas system (yes I asked about this and JD said the MPC works best with a middy). I also ordered the 6.5 MPC dies, which are custom made by Hornady (win, win).

Anyway, I was told about a 5 week wait for the barrel to made and shipped to me. Due to the holidays creeping up, the wait ended up being about 6 weeks.

I recieved my barrel, brass (SSK sells precut winchester brass for $40 per 100) and dies for the MPC.

The barrel is beautiful, with a bead blasted finish and stamped for "6.5 MPC". It also incorporates 5R rifling to facilitate higher velocities, lower pressures and easier cleaning. SSK provides a gas block and gas tube with the purchase of their AR barrels. Base cost for a SS barrel is $440.

Long story short, I am satisfied!

Now to the good stuff:

After recieving the dies and such, I went ahead and started loading the brass on my Hornady SS press.
My load is as follows:
22.0gr AA1680, 100gr AMAX, CCI 400 primers. The resizing of the .223 brass was a breeze and I have only experienced one split neck so far (my fault).

After loading a couple of "starter" rounds, I assembled the barrel to my MUR-1A upper and could not be happier with the fit and finish.

So after safety checking my new upper, I set out to start checking velocity and accuracy of the handloads.
After I loaded up the magazine and racked the bolt, something wasn't right; the rounds were not fully chambering.
After some inspection I confirmed the shoulder was not bumped back far enough so unfortunately I did not get to test the 6.5 MPC cartridge yet.

After I got home, I pulled out my loading supplies and loaded some other rounds with a deeper shoulder set, and they chambered just fine.

Now, all I need is to hit the range this week and test out the results.

Stay tuned for more info (a range report) and eventually a full YouTube review.

P.S. while you're waiting so eagerly I have some eye candy for you. Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpg
    IMG_2744.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2747.jpg
    IMG_2747.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 195
Hmm. good lookin' rifle. But geez that is a short neck. Does that apply enough tension to avoid setback? Can't tell if they are crimped or not.

Good observation.
Actually those are my squibs that I will have to redo. Those would not chamber and I made some adjustments to my dies which allowed for a longer neck and deeper shoulder. These chamber and are much more appealing to the eye.
The ones in my picture are just for reference comparing a 5.56 to the finished-almost finished-6.5 MPC.

Update...

So I tested out some handloads.
My chronograph decided that if there is any humidity, it will not function. So sadly I can not give anyone velocity results from my handloads, yet, not yet.

Mainly, these were function test rounds. I wanted to make sure the gas block was aligned and cycling the bolt, and I also wanted to check for any pressure signs on the cases-zero.

When this Texas weather dries up soon, I will post velocity results ASAP.

As soon as I can get some velocity results, a full video review will be available.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

Jimbob,

If you would read my previous post, you would see that the loads in the picture are squibs due to the short neck.

I guess I need to post a picture of the sucessful rounds. So please bear with me.

Can you use standard AR mags with those? Or do you use 6.8 spc mags? Or are you re-using your 6.5G mags?

Just curious.

doofus47,

Yes, you can use standard AR mags.
In one of the pictures I have 3 rounds stacked in a 20rnd PMAG.

Since this IS a .223 necked up to 6.5mm, the OAL (2.260 and under) remains the same-I actually load these a bit shorter just to be safe.

Sounds like another cartridge the world doesn't need.

What would be cool would be if the necked 7mm08 up to a 30cal bullet.
I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.

Sounds like another cartridge the world doesn't need.
Well I am sorry my informative post about a cartridge I am relatively excited about doesn't fit into your idea of enjoyment.

What would be cool would be if the necked 7mm08 up to a 30cal bullet.

Is this sarcasm? Because a necked up 7mm-08 is a .308. The 7mm08 was adopted from the .308.

Is this sarcasm? Because a necked up 7mm-08 is a .308. The 7mm08 was adopted from the .308.

Pretty sure it was, SheepD.

It does not look to me like there's enough room to set that shoulder back any..... w/o headspace issues....

Pretty sure it was, SheepD.

I figured, but you never know sometimes. :rolleyes:

It does not look to me like there's enough room to set that shoulder back any..... w/o headspace issues....

Jimbob86,
Here's what I will do: I will make some "good loads" tonight and post a picture of them to clarify what I am talking about :)

Pretty neat stuff. Improved caliber (albeit subjective as in "eye of the beholder") with minimal change to the AR platform (barrel change). What's not to like?

Pretty neat stuff. Improved caliber (albeit subjective as in "eye of the beholder") with minimal change to the AR platform (barrel change). What's not to like?

I am glad someone likes it. :p

I am impressed so far. When I begin measuring velocities/accuracy is when I will be the most impressed-I promise an update before the weekend is over.

Sorry for my comment sheepdog.

I meant you no offence, I was having one of those moments where I should think before I speak.

I'm actually quite interested with what your range results will be.
I hope your project goes as well as you hope.

Back