6.5 Grendel or 350 Legend

Andy1

I'm looking to buy a rifle for my 10 year old son. He's average size, 5' tall & 80lbs. This will be used in PA for primarily deer, but the occasional coyote and possibly start hog hunting. I want to get something light in recoil and our shooting is generally under 100 yards. I was all set to order a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel. Now I'm not a fanboy of the 350 but it's larger bullet diameter and our limited shooting distance has thinking twice. I think the 6.5 is the better choice but I wanted to get some other input before I spend the money on a new rifle.

Kid

If it were me, I'd be buying the Grendel, but in a bolt rifle. I'm not a big fan of putting a semi in kids hands, no matter how competent, but that's me. It's your son.

I am curious though, when I was in PA many years ago, legal hunting age was 12yrs? Also, last I read, PA had legalized SA/AR pattern rifles for small game, but not large?

I sure could be wrong.

If you’re not going to be using the rifle beyond 150yds, go with the Legend. I personally wouldn’t use the Legend beyond 150yds even though it may be able to. I just think there are much better options out. I was never a big fan of the 6.5 calibers but I’d go with the Grendel in this case. Have you considered a .243win? My main reason for the .243win is Ammo availability. No matter how popular the grendel may be, I guarantee the .243 will have more. I was actually smaller than your son when I started I started using a Remington 788 in .243win. I actually still have that rifle plus 4 other .243’s as well.

Bamaranger, the CZ 527 is a bolt action rifle. Semi auto centerfires aren't legal in PA. Also, they removed the 12 y.o. age requirement.

Mxsailor, I did consider the .243 because I inherited a 6mm Remington Ruger #1. But it's too barrel heavy for him and it's my go-to gun.

On top of this, he has a 7 year old brother. So I'm trying to expand my low recoil options. Because my only other option is a M77 .257 Roberts. I was planning on giving that to my 10 y.o. after my 7 y.o. starts hunting in a few years.

Unless you have a straightwall hunting cartridge restriction--no contest, Grendel is the superior and more versatile cartridge IMO.

Andy, take a look at the Remington 700 ADL (the big box model) or the Ruger American. I’m normally a 700 fan (I have 7 right now) but I have owned a AMERICAN in .223 and shot several other Americans in various calibers. Now don’t get me wrong CZ makes REALLY nice rifles but I would not get one for a child that’s not serious into hunting/shooting. Heck, I want a CZ in 7.62x39 still lol. I only recommend a cheaper rifle because I would hate to see a super nice wood grain stock get damaged from a accidental drop. Accidents happen especially with a young hunter. I’m not saying a deadly accident just a “oops”. Good lord knows I had my share lol. Now if you want the CZ in case your boys aren’t into hunting, by all means go for it.

My son is now 6 but started shooting high powered rifles last spring when he was 5. I bought him a Remington Model 700 SPS Compact in .243. He did really well with the rifle. Well enough that he took his first buck a 6 pt at around 60 yards. I reload so I was able to load some light recoil 55 gr loads for him to start shooting / practicing with. We then worked our way to 100 gr rounds for deer hunting. He now asks me to shoot pretty much every weekend. My brother also owns a 6.5 Creedmoor and my son said he wanted to try that and he shot it several times, handling the recoil pretty well. I am not a 6.5 creedmoor fan but I would consider it a viable option. Based on the calibers you listed go with the grendel. I believe the 243 is the perfect first rifle for a young man and will still work well as he becomes an old man, lol!

Strictly based on the cartridges, if you are not required to use a straight walled case for hunting, the Grendel for sure. Less recoil, greater utility.

Grendel. Superior cartridge to the 350. Also consider the 6.8 SPC II for an AR. I like it for even more than the Grendel or the 350 for 250 yards or less.

As has been pointed out already, unless there is a straight walled cartridge requirement for hunting, the Grendel would be an excellent choice. The CZ 527 is a really nice rifle and good shooter, but the 527 American has a 24” barrel which might not be optimum for bushy or wooded areas. Howa makes a nice rifle in 6.5 Grendel that is available in wood stock too. The 20” barrel Howa mini action is a great little rifle in most aspects, though I would highly recommend upgrading the trigger guard assembly to one made of aluminum from DIP. Howa mags can also be cut down to give an almost flush bottom too. Or, you can get a hinged floor plate mod from Jefferson Outdoors, but you gonna pay a bit more for it.

I have a CZ 527 American and a Howa mini action, both in 6.5 Grendel. It is a mild shooting and accurate caliber that is excellent for medium sized game. I like both rifles! If I was in your shoes, I would probably go with the standard synthetic stock on a Howa mini action, and upgrade to bottom metal. It would give you an excellent handling hunting rifle for your son. Best of luck to you, however you choose!

missed it

Andy,

I missed the entire sentence of your OP regarding the CZ in the Grendel. And I assumed that you were looking at a Legend in an AR erroneously as well,. My bad.

As I best recall, bamaboy killed his first deer at age 11, with me at his ear in a shoot house. Pretty sure we hunted when he was 10 yrs as well. I'm pretty old school regards, kids, guns and hunting big game.
I suppose there are younger kids that are ready to grasp the responsibility of shooting at big game, well, any game really, but I believe many are started too young. One clown in our hunt club allowed his 6 yr old young grandson to shoot a deer with a 17HMR........the deer escaped of course. I'm aware of another fellow who held the rifle on target, and the granddaughter pulls the trigger at about age 5. Foolishness on the adults part as far as I'm concerned.

Kids are all different of course, but adults need to be careful about too much too soon.

I looked into the 350 Legend after a friend put the hard sell to me last fall. I did a bit of research and although it might be a good choice for Indiana, or states that limit cartridge sizes, I think that my 6.5 Grendel ARs are better all around hunting tools.
The other topic brought up bolt vs AR: I would think that a bolt action would weigh less; I'd start him there.

Built my bitty daughter and wife a 6.5Grendel in a lightweight AR15. Smashing success.

My daughter was in the 80lb range at the time. Mass & recoil are still issues and will be if my wife is any indication.

6.5Grendel is more than adequate for big honking Axis does at range, my daughter can assure you.

6.5Grendel is plenty powerful enough on medium big game with reasonable projectiles. Hornady SST 123gr is serious deer medicine.

Since you can't use an AR15 to hunt in PA, the mini action bolts are the way to go.

CZ527 Minimauser American
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american/
24" bbl
6.4lbs

CZ527 Minimauser American Synthetic
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american-synthetic-suppressor-ready/
16.5" bbl
5.87lbs

Howa Mini action
https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-mini-action-rifle/
22" bbl
6.0lbs

May be others, these are the ones I know. I am partial to Mauser actions and my wife developed "Mauser Envy" when she hunted with her first rifle, a Ruger American Compact Rifle (18" bbl, 6lbs). Why? Because the new style cheap "machined out tube" "bolt actions are a PITA to administer relative to the older Mauser-based actions. She saw that I had less trouble with my CZ administration. The Howa looks more open like the Mauser.

FTR, I own & love a CZ550 Americna Safari in .375H&H. Love it.

That CZ527 synthetic looks about as handy as a front shirt pocket, and is less than 6lbs. 16" is more than enough bbl for 6.5G, but the 24" bbl will get a bit more velocity.

And looky here:
http://shop.cz-usa.com/SearchByKeyword?word=stock+527
You can buy stocks of various sizes and materials. That "Youth Carbine" stock looks teeny-tiny.

I hear good things about the Howa, but looking at the offerings, I would run with a CZ offering.

Last, .243Win is a great round, but too much for smaller kids and many women without a recoil shield.

Good luck.

Back