6.5 Grendel fmj's

loguon

Inactive
Thinking about getting a bolt action grendel for deer hunting <400 yds. I would like to shoot steel in the offseason, but I don't handload at this point. Literally every place online and in store is out of the cheap PMC and Wolf 6.5 grendel fmj's. Is the demand always this high for cheap grendel?

Yeah, 6.5 Creedmoor is definitely more popular and capable for hunting. But the Grendel has enough pop for deer sized game, and debatably up to elk sized game at short range. The advantage of a grendel would be lighter weight, less recoil, and a faster shorter action with a Howa mini action.

Is demand always so high for cheap Grendel ammo? Yep. Manufacturers haven't figured out how much of a market there is for Grendel, yet.

Get on the notice list for Sportsmans Warehouse for their American Gunner ammo. It is $140 for 200 rounds BTHP, shipped. When it comes in stock, they will send you a note. Order quick. It is good stuff. It shoots very close to the same POI out of my rifle as my Hornady SST 123 gr. hunting ammo.

Following loguon, I would say that there are much better and/or more common calibers that I would shoot through a bolt action than Grendel. Grendel is sort of topped out for the AR15 and if you aren't already shooting it in your AR15 (which I do and really like it), then why go the Grendel route for a bolt action?

odd numbers

I've always been a sucker for odd calibers. I jumped on the 10mm wagon early, and the Grendel has my attention now. Held a Howa Mini in my hands just the other day, so chambered.

"Cheap" is a relative term. However, Alexander Arms is listing Wolf steel cased, 100 grain FMJ's at $8.39 per 20. Steel cases are not reloadable and it's Berdan primed anyway.
"...how much of a market there is..." Doubt there's much demand for non-hunting 6.5 Grendel ammo. And because it's a 'metric' cartridge most Americans don't know exactly what it is good for either. Metric hunting cartridges historically don't sell well Stateside.
"...jumped on the 10mm wagon..." .41 AE for me. If I hadn't bought 500 cases and dies at the same time as the barrel, I'd be SOL for ammo.

I would limit the Grendel to 250yards, even in a bolt. As others have stated, the Creed is a much better choice for your use. My other 6.5s are a 260 and 6.5-06. Bite the "bullet" and get setup for reloading.

How much difference in weight between a Grendel and a 6.5 Creedmore could there be? I wasn't aware anyone even chambered for the Grendel? Something like that you should really consider reloading.

The Hornady 123 SST load shows that the 6.5 G still has just over 1000 ft/lbs of energy at 400 yards....That's plenty of energy for deer hunting.......

250 yards max for the Grendel? Where did you get that number from? Of course the larger cases will extend the range of the 6.5mm bullet by quite a bit. But the OP was asking about the Grendel.

As far as ammo availability goes it's hit or miss.....The Grendel seems to be gaining in popularity by leaps and bounds....mainly in the AR platform but bolt action rifles are becoming much more common in the caliber. Once the ammo manufactorers figure it out you'll see much more ammo on the shelves.

As for me, I reload so it's not an issue. I suggest you start reloading no matter what calibers you shoot.....there's nothing like shooting ammo that's custom made for you own gun.

How much difference in weight between a Grendel and a 6.5 Creedmore could there be? I wasn't aware anyone even chambered for the Grendel? Something like that you should really consider reloading.
Howa is all I know of that makes a Grendel bolt gun. The standard mini action 6.5 Grendel weighs 6.8 lbs scoped. The regular 1500 Gameking in 6.5 Creedmoor weighs 9.4 lbs scoped. Those numbers are from their catalog. However, other manufacturers make Creedmoors lighter than 9.4 lbs scoped.

The Wolf steel case ammo might be OK if you don't plan to "shoot steel " very far away. I mistakenly ordered 2x as much of that crap as I intended right after assembling a 6.5G upper. Group size is approx 2-3X the group size of Hornady ELD or SST(2.5-3" vs 1-1.5")

The Wolf steel case ammo might be OK if you don't plan to "shoot steel " very far away. I mistakenly ordered 2x as much of that crap as I intended right after assembling a 6.5G upper. Group size is approx 2-3X the group size of Hornady ELD or SST(2.5-3" vs 1-1.5")
Yeah that's ok, I'm not a serious "long range" shooter. Just out having fun at a couple hundred yards, and 3-4x the price for better accuracy just isn't worth it to me at this point. And I have too many hobbies for a 20 year old to get into reloading.

Reloading

"And I have too many hobbies for a 20 year old to get into reloading."

Never too young to reload (within reason), allows shooting much more for the same money...

I started reloading while still in high school...
Pulled everything out of hiding when my mother went to work, clamped it to the kitchen table and put away before she returned!

T.

Back