6.5 creedmor pick

spanky280

Inactive
Hey guys I am planning on purchase a new rifle and wanted some advice on what you recommend.

Tikka T3X lite veil Wideland 24.3 barrel (muzzle)and 7.1 pounds $1200
Weatherby First Lite Fusion 26 barrel (muzzle) 7.1 pounds $920
Browning X-Bolt Eclipse Hunter 24 barrel (muzzle) 6.7 pounds $1100
Thompson Center Venture 2 - 22 barrel (threaded) weight n/a $500
Tikka T3X Lite stainless steel 24.3 and 6.3 pounds $700

Please share any experience you have with them?

If I was going to get a brand new rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, it would certainly be model 70 Winchester Featherweight, with a Walnut stock. I wouldn't even consider any others, but that's just me.

It may help if you let us know its primary purpose. There are TONS of good, serviceable, reasonably accurate option available for a little as $350...excluding an optic.

I'm partial to Browning, Weatherby, and Tikka but have also been happy with my Ruger American. If I were going to spend $1000 onother rifle, I would look at offerings to suit my purpose from the Bergara B14 lineup.

I am mainly using it for deer hunting and want an extra rifle. I have a 7mm-08 and a 7mm magnum.

I have a tikka and a venture. I was mainly leaning towards the browning as I like the design and stock. Accuracy and balance are my main concerns with the different rifles.

Of the ones you mentioned, I would most likely choose the Tikka stainless. In my opinion, it's a thing of beauty with an excellent reputation.

I might put the X Bolt on equal footing except for the thumbhole stock. While nice for righties, I'm a lefty and it just wouldn't work. So that may figure into the equation for you if you are a lefty or if you have a lefty friend or family member that might want to shoot it.

For what I'd do with it I'd choose option #5. The standard Tikka T3Lite.

But I'll just confuse you more with some other options to consider.

The Tikka CTR is a mid weight rifle that could serve as a target rifle, and is still not too heavy for most hunting. I like the CTR magazine a lot better than the standard Tikka plastic mags. Street price in blue is $900-$1000. SS is about $100 more. They tend to be very accurate.

https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-compact-tactical-rifle

Bergara is making a pretty good Rem 700 clone. They've addressed the shortcomings of the 700 action and I consider it a better rifle. They make several versions including some pretty expensive ones geared toward target shooting.

The B-14 Hunter has a standard barrel profile and is fairly light. Not Tikka, or mountain rifle light, more like standard rifle weight. They also make versions with walnut stocks if that is important.

My favorite is the B14 Ridge. It uses a slightly heavier barrel and is threaded for a suppressor. Weight is still manageable. It is a good compromise for a rifle meant to be used for both hunting and some informal target shooting. Street prices for either is around $700-$750.

Scroll down for all options.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/

Yeah, in the realm you are looking, I'd get a Bergara as well. I am also partial to Weatherby's, but hard to do better than the Bergara offerings.

Like any decent rifle these days, should be able to get 1 MOA groups or better...plenty accurate for shots on deer out beyond 300 yards. Obviously it's dependent on a number of factors, these primarily being the skill of the shooter and ammunition choice. Whatever you get, be sure to try a few different loads to see what your rifle likes best. And don't skimp on optics; however, having said that, for hunting purposes inside about 300 yards, I don't feel there is any reason to spend another $700-1000. There are tons of option that will suit your purpose for $200-500. Just make sure the mount/rings are secure on the receiver, the rings are secure on the scope, and the reticle is leveled with the receiver.

And I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious, since you've said that you already have a couple of other hunting rifles.

Last edited:
With a 7mm-08 and a 7mm magnum already in the stable, you have utterly no need for another big game rifle.... unless you don't have a Winchester, that is. ;)

Last edited:
Back