6.5 Creedmoor.

Zorro

So what does this do better than a 6.5 Swedish Mauser or the 7MM-08?

Honestly the 6.5 Swedish Mauser is easier to find ammo for.

:eek:

Please...I'm begging... in the holiday spirit...

Not yet another 6.5 Creedmor thread :)

You can go no further than page one threads and find a few already- then a search will turn up hundreds more.

Now, if you want to talk 6mm Creedmor...

The biggest 2 advantages over 260 is rifles with fast twists that can handle heavy high BC bullets. And the 6.5 case is designed to still work in a short action and use those longer bullets. The longer bullets in a 260 seat too deep and take up powder space limiting velocity. The 260 was a good idea, but with some shortcomings. The 6.5 corrects those problems making the round a bit better.

If you have a custom rifle built in 260 it can do the same thing, but you won't find any factory 260 rifles that are as good as 6.5 Creedmoor. If you build on a long action to allow the longer bullets to be seated far enough out and put a fast twist barrel on it the 260 can equal the 6.5. But most people just buy a 6.5.

The 6.5 gets very high BC's with 140-143 gr bullets and shoots them fast enough to give good long range performance. To get the same BC's in 7mm you'd have to load bullets over 170 gr. In 30 caliber over 200 gr. It is harder to get those heavier bullet moving fast enough to take advantage of the higher BC's unless you load them in magnum rounds.

In theory a 6.5 Sweede should be able to match the Creedmoor and maybe beat it. But once again not from a factory rifle. You'd have to go with a custom build and it would be a long action.

Not loaded with premium high BC hunting or target loads. And that will change. I'm already seeing far, far more Creedmoor ammo on shelves than the Sweede

I love the Swede, the problem is there are still many surplus rifles out there that limit the pressure to 46000 psi, limiting the potential of the 6.5X55. Also it requires a long action, but personally I don't buy the idea you have to have a short action but many do. If one has a modern action the 6.5X55 will do anything the 260 and 6.5 CM will do.

The 260 is another excellent round but again, too many think they have to use the short action. On this round that requires the longer 6.5 bullet to be seated too deep in the case to fit the magazines. This problem is easily solved by using the long action.

That brings to the 6.5 Creedmoor. The case is designed to allow any 6.5 to be used and still fits the short action magazines. Max pressure of the 6.5 CM is over 15,000 psi more then the 6.5X55.

The CM covers the best of the other two without the limitations.

However, if one wasn't hung up on the short action, and chose a good modern action, the Swede and 260 will work just as well.

I got hooked on the Creedmoor cool-aide because of my wife. I sent her to a Precision Long Range School where she had to shoot their rifles, which was the 6.5 CM, fell in love with it and I had to buy her a RPR in 6.5. Playing with it I decided to try it in a light rifle for deer and antelope so I picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5, I too got hooked.

But that doesn't mean I'm giving up my 6.5 Swede Surplus rifle, and I still have the 260 Rem. reamer and HS gages waiting to find a Model 70 Action for my future 260 Rem. build.

I figure, when in doubt, get all three and you're covered.

Gentlemen:

While the 6.5 Creed is indeed a cool cartridge, there are options that allow the 6.5 x 55 to reach its potential.

That would be a Savage long action with an aftermarket 6.5 x 55 barrel.

That brings it up to modern pressure standards that the old rifles are limited by.

If you are not into doing your own (about $150 in tools) get a Gunsmith who can do the work. It should not cost you more than $150.

Get a Savage long action on sale (make sure it has the acu trigger) and then buy a Shilen, XC, Criterion barrel in 6.5 Sweed.

The rifle would cost about $400 (Savage rebates often and Cabella's, Dicks etc. throw in their own frequently). Barrel is $300 roughly. So for under $900 you have a custom rifle in that caliber.

And if you shoot it a log and shoot out the barrel, its $300 to replace it (some gun smith fees if you don't do your own work)

I am setup for it, take me all of an hour to change the barrel (and that's because I am slow!)

A number of Savages come in 6.5 284 as an option.

NOTE: You can also sell the barrel that comes off the Savage. Something between $60 to $80/

Last edited:

Nothing really. It's a matter of splitting hairs as are so many of these other cartridge comparisons. They always each have their own small advantages/disadvantages over one another which would include the .260 rem.

In terms of the factory load availability, the Sweed has more choices. My iphone Ballistic AE app shows the Creed has 3 manufactures with 17 loads vs the Sweed's 11 manufacturers and 37 loads. The Creed has 6 140gr loads and nothing heavier. Compared to the Sweed's 17 140gr with 5 156gr loads.

The 6.5-284 Norma was mentioned which is a little step up but, really needs to be done so with hand loading to take advantage of the extra case capacity. It too has a virtual ballistic twin in the .270 WSM.

Or we can go with my 7.5 Swiss project gun!

One gun to rule them all, one gun to bind them (forgive me Tolkien)

The only advantage I can see over a 6.5X55 is the Swede is usually throated for long 160 gr RN bullets, so with premium high-BC match bullets it may not shoot as well as a 6.5 Creedmore. As others have said in this thread and several others about the 6.5 Creedmore, the Creedmore is capable of very good accuracy shooting those high-BC match bullets, so it may make a difference in that respect, but maybe not. As I said in those other threads, if you want a Creedmore, then get one, but don't sell anything to get one as you will have to be very diligent to realize any real advantage from it.

As far as comparing it to a 7-08, you lose the capability to shoot heavy bullets capable of taking elk and other heavy game, although there will be the fan-boys who say that the 6.5 is entirely capable of taking moose (to whom I say that a friend of mine who guides in Alberta uses a 25-35 on moose because they die very easily). So, if you have a 7mm, I wouldn't sell it to get a 6.5 Creedmore, but if you want a 6.5 Creedmore, go ahead, it will be fun.

OP, Not a darn thing!!!

Tobnpr, What about the 22 Creedmore???

Jmr40, So the bullets that the Swedes use won't bring down a moose, or were/are used for their target team????

Back