6.5 CM

the blur

I'm jumping on the 6.5 Creedmoor kick. Just read too much about it.

Ordered the Tikka Hunter model. Going to top it off with a Zeiss Conquest 42mm scope.

Should be coming in next week. I'm excited :)

Yes you will dig it, I dig my Creedmoor rifle.
Im currently testing data for 140's and the 143 ELDX bullet, Ive come to terms with 130 grn Bergers and H4350, really nice load.
Hardly any recoil and Im running an Ultra-Lite laminate from Richards on my Turk M38 build....

Best new cartridge introduced in at least the last 60 years. Very balanced and versatile. Set up right you can have a target rifle capable out to 2000 yards or as a hunting rifle it will do anything a 270 does with 1/3 less recoil.

It is a good round that is known to be very accurate even in budget priced rifles. I reload for mine it cuts cost considerably. While giving me match quality ammo.

my rem .260 with a 24" barrel and 1-8 twist, will do every thing the 6.5c will do with much cheaper cases. the selling thing for the 6.5c was that you could put it in a ar semi platform, try heavy loads in that and see how you do. and do you realy know how far 2000 yards is? even the old 6.5 swede in a modern action will do as good and made be a little better. the new any thing shooters are now flocking to the newest needle caliber, the 6mm-c. when you shoot targets FPE is not to important, but when shooting at animals you owe it a quick kill. my own extended hunting caliber has been a medium weight 7mm mag with a 162gr bullet at 3000 fps

Last edited:
"the selling thing for the 6.5c was that you could put it in a ar semi platform"

Kind of silly to even say. So what prevents the .260 Rem being used in the AR type rifles?

T.

Set up right you can have a target rifle capable out to 2000 yards
Let's not oversell this thing. It isn't magical. Anyone who make statements like this has never shot a target rifle past 1,000 yds. The 143 gr ELD-X leaving the muzzle at 2,700 fps will begin trans-sonic buffeting about 1,200 yds and accuracy will be non-existent beyond 1,300 yds. Don't get me wrong, 1,300 yds is quite a shot, and the 6.5 CM a fine cartridge and all that, but it ain't magic.

The biggest problem with overselling this thing is that people will try it and find out it doesn't work. I had a friend who hunted with a 264 WinMag. I tried a 6.5-06. I talk to people all the time who tried the 6.5-284 Norma. Yes, they're great and shoot flat and are all the "be all and end all", but they aren't magical. Just take it for what it is, a fine target rifle round out to 1,000+ yds.

BTW, in order to reach 2,000 yds while remaining supersonic, the bullet would have to leave the muzzle at close to 4,000 fps. There isn't a 6.5 rifle out there that does that. Not the 264 WinMag, not the 6.5-300 Wby, not even the Lazzeroni monsters.

the 6.5c fatter and the 260 is a little longer with a taper, the 6.5c with allow the long bullets to be seated back in the case to be used in the at-platform-magizines while not taking up as much powder space. the 260 can be used in a at platform, but the bullets will need be seated back taking up more powder space to work thru the magizines

Scorch said:
Let's not oversell this thing. It isn't magical.................and the 6.5 CM a fine cartridge and all that, but it ain't magic.

I like the idea of the Creedmoor, if I was shooting competitions I'd probably look at the 6mm version. However, my main use for a rifle is hunting and the 6.5 CM hasn't swayed me from my .300 Savage, .270 Win, or .30-06 yet. I've killed exactly one animal beyond 500 yards, the majority have been less than 300 and the Creedmoor offers nothing I don't already have.

If a shooter is looking for something new or learn long range shooting the 6.5 CM is a great cartridge. If you're looking to get an off the shelf rifle to enter PRS or other competitive long range shooting competitions then one of the Creedmoor versions is a good place to start. However, for those of us who aren't looking to reinvent the wheel it doesn't really offer a significant advantage over what we already have.

I have a 260, a ballistic twin to the 6.5 CM, which is now my primary hunting rifle. The 270 is parked in the safe. I really don’t have any significant justification for using the 260, other than the rifle is light and the recoil is light, compared to my 270. Since I don’t shoot long range, higher bullet BC means little. I punch paper with the 260 and hunt coyote and hogs using the 100 gr Nosler BTs and deer with the 120’s. It doesn’t have the power of the 270, but has enough for what i need.

You guys are killing me with this 6.5 Cr stuff.. haha. I was an early adapter and went with the 260 Rem in my long range rifle. Love it to death, it'll do all I need it to ballistically. But then 6.5 Cr came along and that's what's on the shelf. I reload, it isn't a really big deal I guess.

It should have been 260 Rem that became popular but Remington insisted on marketing it as a hunting cartridge... which makes sense because there are so few hunting rounds on the market, right? (Don't miss my sarcasm...). A lot of long range guys picked up on it and they still didn't get the memo - 300 WM ballistics with significantly less recoil? Nah.. no one will want that! (again, don't miss my sarcasm). No wonder they are filing for bankruptcy.. But I digress.

Blur, you'll love the round.. they really are good enough to justify all the press they get!

Last edited:
Taylorce1 you need one to shoot antelope and muledeer with, also great varmint cartridge.
It doesn't do anything that can't be done with other cartridges but it's dandy at the 3 things I mentioned.
However if I were to buy, or build a PRS rifle I would probably go with 6.5 PRC.

Hooligan1 said:
Taylorce1 you need one to shoot antelope and muledeer with, also great varmint cartridge.
It doesn't do anything that can't be done with other cartridges but it's dandy at the 3 things I mentioned.

I'd gladly shoot all of the above for everything you mentioned, probably even use the 6.5 Creedmoor on an elk. However, I'm good on hunting cartridges and all my long range rifles are in 6mm cartridges which will hang all day with the 6.5 CM on paper and steel. Like I said I'm not looking to reinvent anything, that's the only reason I don't have a Creedmoor at the current time. I haven't ruled it out of a future purchase though.;)

I sold enough Rugers for Ruger to send me a 6.5 CM American Predator.

I think I'm going to put it in the MagPul hunter stock and top with a Leoupold VX-3i with a B&C recticle.

I've got a 7mm Mag and .30-06 Hawkeye, so I'm looking forward to shooting longer range without beating the hell out of my shoulder.

Back