6.5 carcano fireforming .264 to.268

iac

Inactive
Does anyone know if shooting the usually available .264 ammo in the Carcano "fireform" it to the actual .268 of the chamber ?

The only place the bore diameter would affect the brass would be at the case neck and the neck of the chamber. But in fact, even jacketed bullets will upset to a point under pressure. I would not worry about the nominal .004 bullet diameter difference. That much is within the tolerance of most military barrel dimensions. Shoot the rifle with the bullets you have and see what happens.

Jim

I agree with Mr. Keenan, shoot it and see what kind of groups you get. I shoot a 7.62x39 through a Type 99 Japanese barrel (.312) and load with .308 bullets. At 100 yards it would keep up with any .30 caliber factory gun out there. I think the deep cut rifling helps it out. Same thing with a .300 Savage I have, picked it up at a yard sale years ago, t-99 Jap re-cut to .300 Savage. Very accurate @ 100 yards with factory ammo. Try it and see what it does, it may surprise you.

Thanks Gents, I was refering to the brass in regards to the bullet. Most factory Carcano ammo is loaded with the standard .264 (6.5mm) bullet. The Carcano barrel is actually .268 !
Would the .264 ammo fired in a Carcano 'fireform' to .268 ?
Reason being, the .264 would be okay for 100 yds as stated above; but I want actual .268 loading for longer distance competition shooting ( Military Bolt Action Comp. @ Camp Perry ) and figure this would save me a little time and effort.

I thank you if you can clarify, I.A.C.

Well, Scorch is not quite correct; jacketed bullets can and do upset under pressure, but it is dependent on a lot of factors and is not predictable.

I have to admit that the idea of a Carcano at Camp Perry is interesting. Lots of luck!

Jim

For the correct size bullets, just buy Hornady bullets, they make a .268" bullet specifically for the Carcano.

Gentlemen, Perhaps if I redefine the question. Does .264 brass (because its loaded with a .264 bullet) resize to .268 if the chamber and bore are .268, as in a Carcano ??

Does .264 brass (because its loaded with a .264 bullet) resize to .268 if the chamber and bore are .268, as in a Carcano ??
Yes, brass is extremely ductile and will expand to completely conform to chamber dimensions.

Back