5mm in contender

shooterbob

Been thinking of trying out the 5mm cf and was wondering if anyone shoots one in pistol config? Seems to be a mild mannered round with excellent grouping. I always looking for those obscure rounds to tinker with.
Stacy

Hmmm

I did not know that there was a 5mm cf cartridge. Getting a Contender barrel chambered for a odd cartridge can be pricey.
I have since looked up info about this - the 5mm Craig - is that the one that you are interested in?
Pete.

Yea its a relatively new process. Now it looks like Schroeder is making cases for it that range in the 2600 fps vs 1950 in the Craig case. The contender barrels are in rimfire , but since the contender shoots both it shouldn't be a problem.

well... I'm glad I didn't reply yesterday... I missed the little cf, & would have commented, that I don't have much interest in rim fire cartridges with as goofy & unpredictable as the market is lately...

as to doing the conversion... I have a buddy that machines bases for the barrels for Contenders, so a regular threaded barrel can be screwed in... so I have many, many custom barrels... one of my latest was a 22 MCF which was loosely based on the old velo-dog center fire 22, & the 22 Cooper CFM... cases for the oddballs can be trouble, it was quite costly to have 100 centerfire 22 cases made, & my buddy was able to make the dies for me...

you would need a reamer, cases, & loading dies... if you are really willing the investment, should be easy enough to do... personally one of the barrels I had made up was for the 17 Mach 2, & I'm quite happy with that...

is there a reason you are sold on the 5mm ???

myself, I've been on a quest to have a couple of the lowest power reloadable cartridge guns... & for the longest time, I was trying to find a .251" barrel to make a "real" gun that shoots 25 ACP... my latest uses a .257 barrel, & shortened 22 Hornet cases to make a 257 "special" ... I have both a Contender barrel in that caliber, & a Ruger Single 10, converted to centerfire, & made into an 8 shot 257 special...

I tend toward the obscure rounds, specially small cal. The 5mm in contender is actually great since it can shoot rim or center. They make the barrels already, so its a matter of brass and bullets. Everything I read about the 5mm is its very accurate with low recoil. I just picked up a 256 win 10in bull for contender and its pretty close in velocities to the 5mm plus I can make brass from 357 mag. I might just leave off on the 5mm after seeing how this shoots. A lot cheaper on components anyway.
That 257 special round sounds interesting...any data on it?

At one time T/C made a barrel for the Remington 5mm Rimfire. Remington stop making ammo, which killed both it's guns & T/C chambered in that caliber. A company by the name of Centurion (sp?) is making the 5mm ammo again.

Yea the new centerfire 5mm is a lot easier to find supplies for but is still pricey. The schroeder brass is getting about 2600 fps if I remember right in the 30 grn bullet.

Back