590A1 or 870, tricked out equally, which do you prefer?

JERRYS.

simple enough.... the 870 or 590a1, both with the same bbl length, butt stock/grip as you like, fore stock as you like sights as you like.... no lights or lasers etc.....

which do you prefer and why?

Last edited:
Id vote 590. I like the safety and action bar release placement better then the Remy

Cant go wrong either way though. Which ever YOU like better. Then train with that one

I really like the 870 design myself. Fits me best and doesnt have that rattle like the mossberg. Although i have little experience with newer express models. I have used ones from the 80s and they are good shotguns. Not to mention the ease of getting parts and accessories for the 870.

Another vote for 870. Love my Police Magnum. I installed a larger safety on it, easiest thing in the world to disengage, even while indexing my trigger finger over the guard. Any other location just doesn't make sense to me.

the 590A1 has a much better extractor then the old 870. if you experience any malfunctions or do any slug select, the 590 will out shine the 870. but my vote is a M2 or M4 benelli. if you want a pump get the Tactical Nova Pump, it's better than the 870 or Mossbeeg. reason number one is the slug select button. for those that train with a shotgun that option alone is worth it.

Easy question to answer. :o 30 years ago, a gun shop in Austin, Tx. had a Wingmaster on sale. Since then, I've added: another complete WM., 5 or 6 barrels, 4 or 5 butt stocks, and has many forearm stocks. :confused: At first I used the 870 in side matches after the regular USPSA matches were over. These side matches were strictly speed events with steel plates, and pepper poppers. After I moved to California my eyes started to need reading glasses, I started shooting Skeet, (had to get a different barrel). With some Duct Tape and some card board I started shooting Trap (another barrel & butt stock).:D

After many thousands of rounds, I 've never hunted with any shotgun, 870 or my Brownies....:)

I really like where Mossberg placed the slide release and safety on their 500 and 590. They feel very natural for me. My vote would be for the 870, though, because of it's tighter action and steel receiver. Just my personal preference.

Nate.

Another vote for 870. Love my Police Magnum. I installed a larger safety on it, easiest thing in the world to disengage, even while indexing my trigger finger over the guard. Any other location just doesn't make sense to me.

I thought about adding one to my 870, Chief Brody, but wondered if it is too easy to disengage? Perhaps this belongs in another thread.

After I moved to California my eyes started to need reading glasses, I started shooting Skeet, (had to get a different barrel). With some Duct Tape and some card board I started shooting Trap (another barrel & butt stock)

Bake. I love it and I assume the duct tape and cardboard were used to raise the comb. I got fancy and used $3 worth of moleskin for the same purpose before I broke down and had an adjustable comb installed.

Quote:
After I moved to California my eyes started to need reading glasses, I started shooting Skeet, (had to get a different barrel). With some Duct Tape and some card board I started shooting Trap (another barrel & butt stock)

Bake. I love it and I assume the duct tape and cardboard were used to raise the comb. I got fancy and used $3 worth of moleskin for the same purpose before I broke down and had an adjustable comb installed.

I bet the moleskin was easier on your skin than the Duct Tape was on my face !!!:):):):) But yea, I was still a handgun guy, and wasn't sure a shotgun (any shotgun) was really the way to go for me. $70.00 later for a 30" with a fixed "Full" choke and solid rib barrel, and a $40.00 "Monte Carlo" butt stock (it may have come off a slug gun) I was a "Trap" (LOL) shooter guy. :eek::eek: At first my combined scores were around 180 or there abouts. Those old Remington barrels were very tight. My 16 yd, and my Handicap scores were about the same, and for Doubles I would change to the skeet barrel (26"), about a 2-3 minute job.

Last edited:
I've got both and I like both a lot. I shoot both a LOT. The Mossberg has a few advantages I like.

The controls: the action release is more convenient and more natural. More importantly, the safety. I've got an extended safety on the 870 so taking it off safe is moot. But when putting it back on safe (which should be any time you're moving, reloading, or doing anything other than shooting), it is WAY faster and easier with the Mossberg.

Size: in relation to the trigger, the receiver on the Mossberg sits about an inch father back. So a Mossberg with identical stock and barrel length will be about an inch (maybe closer to 1.5") than the Remington.

With the right amount of dry fire and live rounds, they both smooth out equally. My 870 express has the awful finish and starts rusting with almost any moisture (I'll fix that with cerakote eventually), so I prefer the aluminum receiver of the 590.

tricked out equally,

"...tricked out..."

Uh, are we talking about a toy for a child or a real gun for an adult?:rolleyes:

T.

Back