586 vs. 686

Not as a production gun. Some of the stainless have been finished with various coatings by aftermarket shops. It is possible that a 686 could have a custom finish on special order from the manufacturer but they would not have been cataloged items.

Sam

Yes, as a matter of fact they did

In 1989 S&W offered a special run (was catalog'd) of the Model 686 called the "Midnight black" M686. It is a stainless gun with a black plating. Made them in 4" and 6" barrels.
Page 24 of the 1989 Catalog describes this Model:
View

.......SmithNut

[Edited by SmithNut on 02-24-2001 at 01:33 AM]

Guy I know has one of the midnight black 686's.

It's actually a pretty damned hansome gun. But I still can't get around the full underlug on the L-frames.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

And clumsy.

Aahhh, Grasshopper-san, Confucius say "Full lug on L-frame help to dampen recoil...also aid offhand steadiness...and VERY HANDY if you must ever CLUB someone with revolver...aahhh so..."--well, Confucius is right about that, as far as it goes...but the full-lug barrels ARE kinda UNgraceful....mikey357

Ah Confused, Grasshopper says full-lenthgh lug on a .357 L frame to dampen recoil... Grasshopper want to know WHAT recoil?

Grasshopper can see full-length lug on 617, as it's needed to dampen the vicious recoil of those .22 Long Rifles...

Smith Nut, Did S&W made a black 686 3" bbl. for the Customs Service? Would you know how many were made? Thanks.

No black CS-1's that I am aware of

retpo,
I have never heard of any CS-1's that were black. Anything is possible, but in my research about the CS-1 a few years back, that did not come up. The CS-1 was made in 3", 4" barrels predominately, with a handful of 6" ones for the Shooting team, but all were bead blasted satin stainless.
.......SmithNut

As an observation, when S&W uses a 6 in a product, it generally means "stainless". (Yeah I know, 586 has a 6 and isn't stainless.) More of an issue with autoloaders.

Countryboy,

If it's an S&W revolver, and the model number starts with a 6, it is stainless steel.

Unfortunatly this doesn't work quite as well for the S&W autos, especially the 3rd generation ones.

The 645 (2nd gen.), yep that works.

But the 3rd gen. equiv. is the 4506.

Elmo,

If you like the underlug, and it works for you, GREAT! Please don't feel insulted or belittled by my comments. I know a lot of people who prefer the full-underlug guns. I, however, don't, except on .44s with really hard kicking ammo. That's when the extra weight comes in handy.

Totally a taste thing

Just playin', Mike. My 686 was the first really good handgun I ever bought or shot. Naturally, it will always be close to perfect in my eyes.

I'm bored with the caliber wars and the Glock good/Glock bad battles, though. How about we go ahead and start an underlug debate just to be different? :)

Back