58 remmy with conversion question

I have a 44 cal. 1858 new army Pietta with a pietta conversion in 45 lc. I have put a hundred rounds through it or so and a couple of time the cylindar will stick because of sheered led so i have to wiggle the cylindar around to get the lead out so it will advance. is this normal or is there something i can do to fix it?

If you're getting that much lead shaved one of two things come to mind.

Are you shooting reloads?
If you are reloading your own .45 Colts are you getting the bullets seated far enough?

is the cylinder timed right?
I haven't seen this in quite a while but if the cylinder is not timed right it can cause the bullets to shear lead off as the round is being shot but it'd have to be way off in my thoughts for it to shear of that much lead.

If it's sheared lead from firing I'd say it's out of time. Seating depth wouldn't matter as long as the noses of the bullets don't protrude.

these are remmington brand rounds so i guess it is the timing:confused: How would i fix that and will it affect the bp cylindar which i just got all the stuff for and am going to try out this weekend???????

There is one sure way to make sure your cylinder
lines up at full cock, is do what i did, i have a 44
made by pietta 12 years old and i wanted a conversion
cylinder in 45 , and i was told to be carefull and make sure
all lines up. so i got a lenth of woodern dowle and pulled
the hammer all way back, put the dowell in and out, and
made sure it went all the way down in the cylinder, and
there was no hits, smooth all the way.
Ready for this pietta handgun and uberti cylinder from
rd taylors, never had a prob with it.:D

countryboywithgun said:
these are remmington brand rounds so i guess it is the timing How would i fix that and will it affect the bp cylindar which i just got all the stuff for and am going to try out this weekend???????

First you need to see if the bolt is actually grabing the stop on the cylinder "like maybe the ratchet was over adjusted & does not rotate the cylinder enough to lock it up, or the stops were milled wrong" the easy way to check this is to have the hammer at full cock & see if you can rotate the cylinder any, also if you can move the cylinder but do not hear the click from the bolt engaging the stop, what you could have is a cylinder that has too narrow of stops milled in it causing the bolt not to fully engage "I have this problem with my 23 year old Pietta 1858 New Army where the bolt & the stops are narrower than my new spare cylinders & the one that came with my new 1858, the bolt on my 23 YO will engage the stops of the new cylinders but it's sloppy & when I try my old cylinder in my new gun it can not engage the stops because they are too narrow for it's bolt."

If your Percussion cylinder works flawlessly then I'd be reluctant in changing anything on the action of your pistol because anything that you change will effect the Percussion cylinders lock up.

ill try the bp cylindar but on the cartrige one at full cock i can rotate the cylindar slightly and then it clicks. if the bp is the same how can it be fixed??

countryboywithgun said:
ill try the bp cylindar but on the cartrige one at full cock i can rotate the cylindar slightly and then it clicks. if the bp is the same how can it be fixed??

I hope that your C&B cylinder works flawlessly by comparrison because if it is the same as with your conversion cylinder then it would be your Hand being too short & not rotating the cylinder enough to fully lock it & you will need a new Hand & have it tuned to your revolver..

update

Hey i called Taylor's and they said to send the gun and conversion cylinder in so i did. along with a $15 money order to send it back... that was monday last week the 14th and i got it back today:D all cylinders are rotating perfectly and i cant wait to take it out to shoot. I got the gun from a show but taylors has my business for good now. total cost with shipping insurance and money order was around $30. Very happy:D:D

I too think Taylors is the greatest, last year I wanted 2 conversion cyls for my stainless ASM's the gunsmith there, Tom I think said not sure what will fit, send the guns we'll fit em and send em back no extra charge, 2 weeks and I had my beautys back fitted, timed and numbered to the guns, they sure have my business for life!!
febebay003.jpg

HEY flatheadsal, i do like your remmy set:eek:, thats nice,
i have a 15 year old asm, and never had a prob with it, still
going strong, anyway nice pics.:cool:

thanks countryboy, put everything together from seperate sources, looks perfect dosen't it? love those Rugers too, any pictures from you?

hey tatso, found them at a gun show in a box of loose grips, the brass frame on the ruger is Super Blackhawk size, not XR-3 red like the regular old army frame

Back