54 caliber

BIGJACK

I understand that "space" between the Breach plug and the bullet not occupied by powder will decrease the velocity for a given load::D . My question is, that being the fact, what are the ramifications of using 50 caliber pellets in a 54 caliber rifle??????:confused:

You can't hit the side of a barn even if you're inside it. The bullet will not engage the rifling and start to tumble soon after it leaves the bbl.

OK, now I'm confused. (A not unusual situation, by the way.)

Bigjack, did you mean a .50 bullet, or were you talking about a .54 caliber bullet, in a .54 rifle, propelled by .50 caliber Pydrodex (or other) pelletized "gunpowder?" And Clayfish, assuming we're talking about a .54 ball and .50-sized powder pellets, does that have any effect on accuracy?

Thanks.

Thanks both you guys. I am talking about a 54 cal bullet and 50 cal pyrodex powder pellets. would probaly be hard to keep a 50 cal bullet in the barrel unless you kept her pointed skyward.LOL:o

Even the .50cal pellets rattle around a bit. When you ram the round down on top of the pellets they usually crush into chunks.

I imagine you should be fine using .50cal powder pellets...as long as your using the correct load.

Back