521T Continued

Rob228

I posted a few months ago about buying a 521T made in (I think) 1948. I wanted a rifle with peep sights and it fit the bill.

Well, three months later, with the sights bottomed out its still 1 1/2" high at both 25 and 50 yards. Easy solution would be to buy a taller front sight post. However I've realized that my old (39) eyes aren't as peep sight friendly as they used to be and if the light isn't perfect I'm not shooting.

Taking it to get drilled and tapped tomorrow, looking at a few different Leupolds to go on it, will likely go with a 4-12 w/side focus. I grew up shooting sporterrifle with a Browning A-bolt (50' indoors, unsupported offhand, rifle must be under 7.5 pounds) and would like to get back into it.

Going to a custom gunshop in NC (Stumpies). My current plan is to get it drilled and tapped, a picatinny rail installed. There are some other things I have been thinking, but since it shoots so well I'm not sure and am looking for opinions (I know the first opinion will be that I am committing sacrilege by doing this but at this point I am okay with it)

The trigger is actually surprisingly good, 3.5 pounds and a very crisp break. Not doing anything there.

Free floating the barrel- All of my rifles are free-floated even if they didn't come that way. As this rifle stands right now there is what looks like an intentional bump in the wood of the stock about half an inch from the end of the fore-end that puts upward pressure on the barrel. Any opinions on this? Maybe its there for a reason? This gun likes the upward pressure (Savage and Ruger come to mind).

Possibly: bed the action. Will I see any benefit from this with a rifle with only one action screw?

Re-crown the barrel: The crown looks a little beat up, but it does shoot. Worth the money?

I think that's about it so far.

Lots of rifles shoot better with a bit of upwards pressure on the barrel. I would leave it alone and shoot it with several different types of ammo at different velocities to see which shoots the best as, IMO, .22LR guns tend to be ammo sensitive.

At 70 years old I find that for me, a scope is a requirement for any sort of real precision shooting although I can still do okay at shorter ranges. I have two .22 rifles that I really like to shoot:

One is a Russian Biathlon training rifle that came with a really good set of peep sights and with the right ammo is like shooting a laser at ranges under 75 yards.
IMG_2638-XL.jpg

And the other is my Springfield M1922 that dates from around 1928. It was armory overhauled in the late thirties and was brought up to M2 specs at that time.
20211108_172241_Fotor-XL.jpg

I've never seen a bolt action rifle with any part of the fore end touching the barrel shoot accurate. All that does is change the pressure it puts on the barrel depending how it's held.

Here it is, Leupold MK3 HD and a newly crowned barrel. Range reports likely next weekend.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    844.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 59
Back