$5000??

OkieGentleman

Yesterday I saw a NIB Colt Series 80 Gold Cup/National Match in Polished SS at a Mashburn Arms in Oklahoma City. Price $5000.00!!!
SS Anacondas with eight inch barrel for $1400.00.
If I had had false teeth in they would have fallen out!
Have I missed something or is he nuts?

Maybe you should have asked why the Colt Series 80 was $5000.00. Follow up the question by asking why the Anaconda was $1400.00.

I have a feeling there might have been some major internal modifications, or maybe their serial #'s were significant for some reason. (ie. last one built, etc)

No matter WHAT the modifications or special production #'s were, it's way too much for ANY gun IMHO.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

He has been known for prices like that for years. People in other stores just laugh although he is still in business and has been for a long time. I would be interested in what he would say if you offered a reasonable price for some of those guns. He does sell them to someone and you know it can't be for $5000.00. I visit his store about once a year for entertainment. The other side of the coin is that he always has stuff you never see anywhere else.

My Uncle bought a lot of guns from Mashburn in the old days, when they were big. The original Mr. Mashburn was quite a wildcatter, and has several cartridges named for him, which can be found referenced in P.O. Ackley's books among others, like the .218 Mashburn Bee - some might even have dies & reamers available. I find good prices in OKC at H&H.

Mashburn Arms is definitely not what it used to be. Twenty years ago it was the largest dealer in the OKC area. Your example demonstrates why its now located in an abandoned oilfield service co. lot.

Is there still a sign at the entrance prohibiting concealed carry of firearms in the store?

That's even worse than the guy I saw sitting at the snack bar at the Lakeland, Florida Gun Show this weekend...he had a Colt 1991A1 stainless in the box, was asking EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS for it. Didn't have the heart to tell him I just bought a Series 70 big-letter Gold Cup National Match in the box in 95% condition for $600 out the door just a few minutes before...<g>

I saw a 1991A1 (black finish)for $575 this weekend, I thought the guy had bumped his head. He gave me the story about Colt not selling to the public anymore. Two months earlier, they were going for about $375. But I guess someone is buying them....

Is there a good place to get reloading supplies, in and around OKC? Southwest Shooters is the only place I know. Their powder is about 5$ cheaper that it is out here.

Hank, where is Outdoor America? 1000 pistol primers (cci) cost 20 bucks in the 'handle. Powder 19-20 bucks,tuff ain't it.

I`m sure some gunzine writer has already extolled the virtues of buying a $5000 gun and the sheep who waste their money buying and reading these "bibles" will either rush out to buy them or hope the price doesn`t go up before they can save their pennies. I can afford to buy any of the whiz bang crap that`s out there but guess what? It ain`t needed. Now if it was a genuine collectible maybe I could see it. But since it seems anything over 2 days old is considered the thing to own, I`ll pass.

JHS, Outdoor America is on North MacArthur, about halfway between 16th and 23rd.

I just remembered a place that beats them all, although this place does not carry cast or lead bullets for reloading. It is called Gene Sears, and is located in El Reno, just north of the U.S. 81 exit off of I-40. gene sells most everything at a little over wholesale.

Good Luck!

Back