500 barrels with Moss. 500 Bantam (youth) model?ith others?

wild cat mccane

Hello,

I picked up a Mossberg 500 12 gauge Bantam pump shotgun. It is 4+1 capacity where the regular 500 models are 5+1. So...will any 500 replacement barrel work with the Bantam model? My concern is the barrel nut will be too far forward on the replacement barrels?

I have emailed Mossberg but they haven't been helpful at all.

Thank you!

I don't believe they made a special 4 shot tube/barrel combination. You could measure from the receiver to the tip of the tube.
I wonder if there's something in the tube or the spring is binding.
My tube was pretty easy to unscrew and clean, but they are locktited now, I think.

It sounds an awful lot like a 505.. I have a 500 Bantam Crown Grade 5+1. A look on the bottom of the receiver at the feed port should clarify this PDQ.

From the rear of the barrel to where the barrel mount starts is 15 1/2 inches and to where it ends is 16 3/8ths.

Last edited:
It is the 500 Bantam. I purchased it through gunbuyer.com I guess the description could be wrong, but gunbuyer has it as 4+1? I haven't loaded it up yet.

Last edited:
On the 500 series Mossberg shotguns you can use any barrel you want as long as the magazine tube matches the barrel. I have a 500 ATP-8 which holds 7 + 1 and to get my rifled barrel I had to buy the magazine tube for the barrel. It cam with a 20" barrel and I got lucky and found a 28" hunting barrel that was made for the longer tube. I didn't get so lucky with the rifled barrel.

Received word back from Mossberg and confirmed by loading.

This particular 500 Bantam is just a regular 500 model with a 1" shorter buttstock and a charging grip that is more forward. It holds 5+1 and all replacement barrels will fit.

Awesome.

Back