.50 BMG for deer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An old timer hunting friend of mine takes his bolt action 50 BMG hunting with us, he sits on a big hill where he can see a long way, I tell him "you realize the chances of an elk just waltzing out in all that open don't you?"

He's never seen one to shoot at yet like this.

seen it

I've seen that video and a couple like it. One has the deer staged in front of a wall of what must be plywood sheets painted white, I guess to allow them to be more visible.

I'd put all that into the stunt category. Legal (deer likely baited into that position, but that is legal some places), but using tracer ammo, really spray and pray, one shot at a time. There is better .50 ammo for sure.

What was interesting is the falling trajectory of the .50 BMG at that range.

Using a .50 BMG to shoot a deer I'd say would be about as impractical as using a .300 win mag for chipmunk hunting.

Stunts like this will hurt hunting in this country, how about some respect for the animal, the sport and the tradition.

I'm not convinced that the .50 bmg is enough deer, those critters are tough. Why not find a way to shoulder fire a 155mm howitzer.

As Boomer58Cal posted there's folks who have done it and put it on YouTube.

I've had some buddies take a .50BMG single shot out pig hunting. I've seen wildlife meander on to Army ranges and quickly become bullet magnets for .50BMG. And back in the way early 90's when I was in boy scouts, we used to go camping at a guy's ranch who had an M2 mounted in the back of a Toyota pickup, Iraqi-style and he'd drive around shooting pigs from it like it was Blackhawk Down or something. :eek:

But I can't imagine using such a round if you're actually planning on eating any of what you shoot.

Just once. Back about 1991. Setting up for some training at the range. A doe walks out at 325 yards before anyone had fired a shot.
Yes, a .50 BMG will kill a deer. No further info available. :)

Stunts like this will hurt hunting in this country, how about some respect for the animal, the sport and the tradition.
Im with the Guv.
I would think the same way of people shooting deer with a 22 cal. Just because it can be done doesnt mean it should. That video put ammo in the pocket of every group/politician that wants to ban 50bmg

I can see your argument, but I'm a decent devil's advocate. At one point in time, not long ago, hunting with an AR-15 was considered a stunt. Before that, hunting with a handgun was considered a stunt. When Douglas Wesson killed all those animals with a .357, it was viewed as a publicity stunt. Now, I'm not advocating whole-hearted slaughter of animals using a .50, nor am I advocating irresponsible shooting on any hunter's part, but how dead is really too dead?

There are as many cases of irresponsible hunters and shooters with far smaller calibers. It is the problem of irresponsible peoplethat causes problems, and not the caliber of the gun.

Realistically, the .50 would probably damage less meat and lead to fewer wounded animals than other "deer" calibers, such as the .22-250 and .243 with a center-lung shot, due to bullet construction. Hunt with whatever legal caliber you want, but do it humanely and safely. Others are so quick to damn hunters that we do not need to do it to ourselves.

Hunting with a 50BMG round?

Obviously, no soft point would really be needed, although a lot of locales require soft tipped ammo.

Hey, if that is what floats your boat, I guess so. Cant imagine much left of the animal, but its your animal.

My biggest concern is where is that bullet going to go after it exits the far side of the animal?

If you're not hunting deer with the intent of either eating the meat or giving it to someone who needs it, then you have no business hunting at all. And using a .50 bmg will not allow you to save much meat if any. I'm not saying you shouldn't trophy hunt, I hunt primarily to fill the freezer, but I love getting a big buck as much as anybody.

Crap like this is what gives hunters a bad name and image in the public eye.

By the way, if the liberal politicians got ahold of the video Boomer posted about deer hunting, they would say it was proof that hunters are irresponsible and dangerous. They are looking for evey reason they can to take more and more of the second amendment. Let's not help them by doing stupid stunts like that.

Last edited:
Unless you use a "hunting tip" ammo (not sure but I know they are made) it is not a good choice. It punches completely through and could end up with a lot of tracking. Most 50 BMG rounds have steel inserts and will expand very little. I have been shooting a 50 BMG for a few years. I would rather use a smaller caliber. If you do get a hunting round, far less of the meat will be useable.

I did see a guy on you tube hit one in the shoulder and it destroyed the front quarters. Just my opinion.

It works and a nick is more likely a kill with a .50. Also $$$$$$ And likely to scare more game in the area.

But for long range Lapua is also a good choice.

I disremember which state, but one of those out west outlawed using the M2. Montana? Anyhow, it was regarded as not at all sportsmanlike.

Me, I don't see the point. Our own family's experience is that the old '06 does just fine out to 400 and 500 yards, so why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back