50 bmg bolt action ?

mellow_c

I mean this to be a bit vague, as I already have ideas of my own.

But I wanted to see what would happen if I were to ask: what opinions do people have regarding 50 bmg bolt action rifles?

I've looked into all this for YEARS, but yeah, I'm sure you know how I feel.

There are a LOT of interesting options for a variety of prices.

I thought I'd just ask this very general question and see what kind of responses I get.

Last edited:
If I were to leave it at that, we could probably close down this thread right now, lol.

But i'll ask another question. If you were to buy one, or already have, which would it be and why?

McBros 50 BMG action: because it has already been proven

Lilja 36" 50 caliber barrel 36" length because it has already made record groups. Barrel to have the target taper.

Opinions?
You can spend from ~$1200 for an RT 50 to scores of thousands for a highly specialized bolt action .50

I bought a Barrett Semi because they incredibly fun to shoot, and punching holes in engine blocks and 1/2" steel plates at 600+ yards is literally a blast. The bolts might be a bit more precise, but the fun is in the semi's (or FA's).

There are a fair number of .50 bolt actions (here's 12, mostly bolt action '50's)
12 .50 's for fun

.50 prices

Was that enough of an opinion? :D

I have no idea, what question you're asking- or what opinions you're seeking.

A big boomer toy for anyone shooting less than ELR, as other chamberings such as the .338 LM might be a better choice on paper than the .50 BMG.

If you need an anti-materiel rifle (which the .338 LM was also designed for as dual-purpose), the .50 is da one.

But what are you really asking here?

Tobnpr.
I'm really just looking for people to chime in on what 50 BMG bol actions they like, and why... for their own reasons. I'm not looking to influence anyone's response by asking things like "what's the best one for the money?" or "which one is most accurate?" or "which has the least perceived recoil?"

I'm assuming that most people have limited experience with the 50 BMG rifles aside from the one or two they and a friend might own. However there are a lot of people who make this a group thing so they might get time on a variety of rifles. So whatever anyone can tell me about what they have experience with or knowledge about would be great.

Anyway. . . I'm just wondering what people have to say about them, any of them. It could be a simple as "I like them!" all the way to a full range report and review of one or more different models. :)

I will say this though. I'm interested in them for any number of reasons, and I'm drawn to the Noreen ULR for the moment.

"...They are very expensive toys with very little practical value to the average shooter..." Yep, but so is a lot firearm related stuff. And they separate the men from the boys by the price of their toys.
If you want a .50 BMG bolt action, can afford it(ammo starts at about $3.50 each. Reloading requires a special press. $370 from Lee. Includes the dies. Over a grand from Dillon with no dies.) and have a place that'll let you shoot it, go buy it. Big kids don't need anybody's permission.
Most ranges are not rated for .50 BMG though.

If I end up going for it. I'm betting that i'll be driving for hours to find public land vast and deserted enough to really be able to shoot the thing. But that's ok. Some people spend the day driving for hours just to find the right fishing spot. Others make a day out of taking out the 50 BMG to stretch it's legs.

I've seen recently the Barrett semi auto with the longer barrel for sale from Grab a Gun for only $6999. I remember they were never less then $10,000 for a long time.

I'm not interested in spending that much money though.

The Noreen ULR looks very strong, reliable, and accurate and can supposedly be had for right at $2000. That leaves a lot of money for a decent optic and ammo.

Heck. I paid $1880 for my black Dan Wesson Valor 1911. I'd just have to add $1000-$1200 for a good scope and mount. Then maybe another $600 for ammo to last for a long time, since I doubt i'd shoot more then 20 rounds at a time, even with guests shooting it.

Even at $3.50 a shot, if you shoot 20 rounds, that's only $70. If I were to take an ar-15 out and went through 200 rounds at .30 cents a shot that's $60. Also it's pretty easy to have close to $2000 into an ar-15 if you have good parts, great optics, good sling, extra mags etc. If one were to buy a rifle like the Noreen ULR, you just have to spend an extra grand on the scope and mount, otherwise the cost of the whole rig and ammo is about the same as a really nice ar. The way I see it, it's just a different kind of fun for about the same price. The only downside is trying to find a place to shoot it, well, that and trying to make room for it in the safe!!!

I'm interested to see if more people will join the party by sharing their experiences and opinions. :)

Last edited:
Our LAR bolt is a very accurate single shot rifle. You can pick one up for about $2K.
I enjoy shooting mine at targets. I'm glad I did not spend the $7K to $10 on a semi auto. Do I need a semi auto??? I seldom need a quick second shot to down a fleeing target.:D

I re-load G.I. pulled bullets for about $1.50/round. The Lee equipment cost me about $250.00.

You really ought to try to get behind the wheel of one of these guns before you decide on buying one. Your love affair may be short or lifelong. One difference between love and marriage, you can always sell your rifle, but divorce can be expensive.

I have 2 single 50's
Iver Johnson AMAC .50

50bmg1.jpg

Any my shorty..State Arms/East Ridge This rifle is one of six made by the late great George Petrusich. GEO-AZ .

527107d1371554072t-glimpse-my-little-collection-photo-50-shorty.jpg

Local outfit, Mark Serbu, is pretty popular on the firing line at the only 1K public range we frequent here in FL. Guys I've spoken with that own them, like them, but I've no direct experience with them.

http://www.serbu.com/

Over my son's initial objections (he's since seen the light) I put us on course for a .338 LM instead. After nearly a grand for reloading supplies, all I need to do now is quit messing around and decide on buy, or build my own.

Back