.50-70 smokeless loads

mikejonestkd

I just acquired a vintage Remington rolling block in .50-70, and want to take it out occasionally at the range. Its a NYS Milita/ guard 3 band rifle with the 36" barrel
I am not interested in BP loads, I am just looking for a low pressure smokeless load, probably using 3031 or 5744. Data seems to be pretty scarce.
I plan on using montana swaged .515 365 gr bullets, or perhaps their 515 gr bullets.
Anyone care to share a load that works for them?

I shoot a Chiappa Sharps Carbine in 50/70 and my pet load is 29 grains of H4198 and a 450 grain round nosed bullet .515” in diameter.

Load gives me about 1250 FPS and is fairly accurate.

5 shots offhand at 100 yards.

This data is safe in my gun, like always you need to start low work up to a safe load for your rifle.

Dr.

Lyman lists a load for 515 bullets over 5744: start 22.0/max 24.5. Large rifle magnum primer. They do have a bold print warning to only use these loads in modern replicas, not originals.

I tried a Lyman load (IMR-4895 if memory serves) in a Navy Arms replica I had. I got poor ignition and dropped the idea. I replaced that old Val Forgett gun with one built on an original Remington action, and I load only holy black in it. Using a paper patched 500 grain bullet, I can fit the original 70 grains of Olde Eynsford 1 1/2Fg. That gives me 1,148/7.3 Std from the 28" barrel.

I took your advice and went the black powder route. Settled on approx 65 gr of goex FFG under a montana bullets Lyman mold 515141 425 GR flat point. New starline brass, Win primers, and RCBS dies

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/

Loaded up my first rounds tonight and tomorrow is range day for this 150 year old rifle!

Quick update: only loaded a few test rounds for the rolling block.
My son shot a nice 1" 3 shot group with it at 50 yards, although it was quite high and right.
We swabbed the bore after every other shot, and it cleaned up nicely.

A small adjustment to the sights and we were ringing the 6" steel plate at 100 yards with it.
Time to tumble and load some more for our weekly range trip tomorrow!

here is a pic : https://www.flickr.com/photos/185306272@N05/51257167732/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:
If you want to try Trail Boss let me know. I have most of a bottle and I don’t use it. You’re not too far away (if you’re still in Brockport) and I’ll give it to you if you want to try it.

That is a nice example.
I am leery of using Trail Boss in large volume BPCRs. It is good in .44-40 but pressures go up fast as you add bullet weight and case size.

I am also hesitant to use trail boss in original rolling blocks or trapdoors ( i have two of them). From what I have gleaned from the internet, trail boss pressure spikes too quickly for older black powder cartridge firearms.
I do OK with 5744 and reduced loads of H4895 in the trapdoors.
This rolling block is only going to see black powder loads. I see no reason to stress a 150 years old rifle.
Going back today to tweak the sights a bit, and run a few rounds over the chronograph.

Jim, a question for you: This rifle has absolutely NO stamps, patent dates, or any identification other than a rack number stamped on the butt stock, and a proof mark on the side of the barrel. The story that came with the gun is that it may be a factory prototype. Any insight would be appreciated, what do I have?

Last edited:
Contract NY rifles had Remington markings on top tang and inspector stamps here and there.
After 150 years "factory prototype" is just noise without serious provenance.

Back