5 star speed loaders

k511

Just got my 5 star speed loader today for my 686+ 7 shot .357 today... Not impressed at all... When full it sounds like my child's rattle toy.. Really expected better tolerances, especially for the price...
Has anyone else tried these? Is this a common problem? I will never be able to carry this item for hunting or ccw as it just makes too much noise from the bullets rattling...

The 8-shot S&W loader is the same way, except it can actually drop them if you shake enough. The way some folks gush over them, I have to assume that some ammo has thicker/wider rims than what I typically use, and works better.

Moon clips all the way for anything over 6 rounds; find some ammo that fits yours snugly, a de-mooning tool, and rock on.

TCB

Even the 6 shot speed loaders do not work as well as HKS 10 loaders. I got mine when they where still called 3D and were around $14 with shipping included.

I'll be returning mine...just wanted to make sure I didn't get a "dud" that made it past QC...
This is really a great idea making the loaders out of metal as apposed to plastic... I hope they step it up, this is a poor example of what could be

The HKS loaders may be plastic, but it's pretty darn hard plastic. I don't think anyone has ever broke one. I like them because they are a very simple design.

I bought one just because the raw-aluminum machine 8-shotter looks like a gleaming jewel, and is one of the cooler accessories out there for the TRR8. Supposedly the (200$, I think :rolleyes:) loaders from Thunder Ranch are much better, but aren't nearly so stylish. For function I use the boring 'ol moonclips. For true practicality, use the Hornady FTX Leverevolution bullets; their tapered tip makes it pretty much impossible to miss when slapping a loaded clip into the cylinder, while still acting as a hollow point down range (you will have to trim your magnum brass back ~.1" for the long bullets, unfortunately :()

Yes, you have to have a cylinder machined for clips, but it isn't really that big a deal (for some reason I also thought the 686+ came with it, but I'm probably mistaken. S&W PC guns usually come cut, as well does the Chiappa Rhino if you're into it)

TCB

686 does not come cut for moon clips...I wish safariland would make some comp I or comp II or a 7 shot, but I've yet to find them...

I'm not complaining about their function, they do work just fine... My problem is the amount of noise they make when being carried due to how loose the shells fit the loader
To the people that have them, do your "rattle " or have a lot of play when loaded? Or did I get a dud? Wish I could upload a video of the amount of noise and play my particular specimen has..

The 8 shot loader I have, quite literally, sounds like a jingle bell when loaded, due to the machined 'skirt' surrounding the rounds. To be honest, I'd never use it with the rounds I've tried anywhere but the range since they can tilt a good ten degrees or so, making the device only slightly more convenient than popping in 8 loose rounds simultaneously. 357 seems to have a lot of variance in rim dimensions from maker to maker, so perhaps I just haven't found the right brand, yet.

TCB

Mine have some play, but that makes them easier to load into the cylinder.
And yes, they rattle some, but not when they are in my pocket.

Back