5 acres enough?

elper

Inactive
Is 5 acres enough for a small firing range with a shotgun?

Also, does anyone know where a good skeet launcher would be sold?

-elper

Have to agree with Dave, 5 acres is nowhere near enough. Your shot and birds will land beyond the boundaries of your land. Sorry.

M1911

It might be

It depends on how the property is shaped, and where you set up. A 5-acre square is 467 feet on a side, if my calculations are correct. If length-to-width is 1.5:1, the long dimension is 572 feet.

Do you want a true skeet setup (2 towers, 2 launchers), or are you planning on something more informal? A mail-order supplier like Cabela's will usually have a variety of inexpensive manual launchers.

If it works out to be shaped correctly to put in a range, be sure to check with zoning. It would not be in your favor to put a range in just to be told to take it out.
Good Luck.........

elper,

I am interested in your question, not because I have an answer, but because I would like to retire and buy enough land to have my own pistol/rifle range, and have a similar question.

The answers you have received are, I am sure, correct, if you have flat land. Now, if your land had some sort of a natural backstop, such as a near vertical wall of sufficient height, then 5 acres might suffice. If the fields of fire were oriented correctly.

My problem is too find enough land with a natural backstop which could meet the most stringent safety considerations I can find. You have to make sure that any bullet you fire will NOT impact in populated land.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Back