5.7x28:6 100% One-Shot Stops

Beretta686

I bought an FN Five-Seven a while ago and it's largely been an amusing range toy. But after hearing much talk about its supposed hunting utility, I took it with me dove hunting this weekend.

Normally I carry a 10mm, .357 or a .45 to shoot pigs and coyotes while bird hunting, but this time I brought my Five-Seven.

I ended up shooting 6 rabbits with it from 5 feet to about 40 meters away and the results with FN's blue-tipped ammo is rather impressive to say the least. They all dropped in their tracks and died very quickly and the round seemed to of exploded inside them. Yet curiously, only one rabbit had serious tissue damage from a leg bone exploding.

All in all the Five-Seven is quite a rabbit slayer. Though the math of using a $1200 pistol, at $0.70 a shot doesn't really add up, its flat-shooting trajectory makes it an excellent small-game and coyote hunting pistol. I plan on brining it for deer season, to shoot coyotes when I don't want to shoot them with a .308 or other large caliber weapon.

Though I think next time I want rabbit stew, I'll just use a suppressed .22LR, as the Five-Seven is very unpleasant without ear plugs.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1763.jpg
    IMAG1763.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 1,929
Little AR-15

I remember hearing some loud rifle shots in our pistol bays. I'm not a jerk, but I did go to the next bay to inform the guy that anything other than pistol-caliber carbines are relegated to the rifle range, unless a 3-gun match is going on. Lo-and-behold, it was one of those 5.7s. I would imagine it's a bit loud without hearing protection on. For rabbits, I carry a single six .22. The winchester bulk pack does great for head shots. Body shots usually result in me leaving the rabbit there.

I'm curious as to why you didn't have hearing protection on? You were hunting which means you were expecting to shoot, right?

Unless it's Peltor's or other electronic headset, I don't like to wear ear protection that doesn't let you hear when I'm hunting with other people, unless it's a static position. And unfortunately I forgot to bring my Peltors this trip.

When you're bird hunting you want to be able to hear the other people around you, especially if you're in a brush over head height so you maintain situational awareness. It's the same reason I never wore ear pro in Iraq.

I'm curious as to why you didn't have hearing protection on? You were hunting which means you were expecting to shoot, right?
I always have to shake my head when I hear these types of comments. I do not wear hearing protection while hunting. my dad didn't, my grampa didn't, and nobody I know of does it. but as soon as someone makes a remark about ringing ears while hunting the goobers(no offense, allaroundhunter, not aimed at you) come out of the wood work to chastise the OP as iff hearing protection is SOP for hunting, heck, my hunters ed course was not that long ago and there was not a single mention of hearing protection.

EDIT: to the OP, I must say I am surprized. I would have figured that a 40gr VMAX would do a lot more damage, I've seen rabbits shot with 22lrs with similar exit wounds... I would have figured the 5.7 could muster up a little more than that... then again I'm scarred with images of squirrels shot with 303s, 6.5s, and 45/70s...

EDIT: to the OP, I must say I am surprized. I would have figured that a 40gr VMAX would do a lot more damage, I've seen rabbits shot with 22lrs with similar exit wounds... I would have figured the 5.7 could muster up a little more than that... then again I'm scarred with images of squirrels shot with 303s, 6.5s, and 45/70s...

There were more gorily impressive ones, I just didn't want to put too much blood and guts on here. I shot a jackrabbit with my SCAR and a 147 gr SP and it was much less spectacular than the 5.7, but that's kind of an apple-to-oranges comparison.

I can't wait to see what the 5.7 does with a Coyote, where it can fully expand.

Originally posted by Beretta686:

There were more gorily impressive ones, I just didn't want to put too much blood and guts on here.

Maybe it's me....but I have a hard time findin' anything impressive about a gut shot rabbit.

as oposed to expecting him to hit the 1x1.5 "killzone" on a rabbit with a handgun? in the immortal words of a former employer:
we aint buildin a piano here"

Originally posted by tahunua001:

in the immortal words of a former employer:
we aint buildin a piano here"

Sounds like the battle cry of a half-azzed wood butcher that wants others to think of him as a carpenter. But this ain't about construction or pianos. It's about hunting animals ethically and with respect. I know of no mature, seasoned hunter that revels over the sight of guts hangin' outta an animal covered with it's own feces, much less post a pic of it on the internet. Pictures like that with narration explaining there were "more gorily impressive ones" is not the image I wish to portray to others as a hunter. But that's just me.

Sounds like the battle cry of a half-azzed wood butcher that wants others to think of him as a carpenter. But this ain't about construction or pianos. It's about hunting animals ethically and with respect. I know of no mature, seasoned hunter that revels over the sight of guts hangin' outta an animal covered with it's own feces, much less post a pic of it on the internet. Pictures like that with narration explaining there were "more gorily impressive ones" is not the image I wish to portray to others as a hunter. But that's just me.

Indeed and it's your right to be offended.

My goal is to illustrate that real world affects of the said cartridge, not to entertain with gruesome photos.

Back