5.7 mm derringer?

stonewall50

Has anyone ever heard of one of those little pocket revolvers in the 5.7 mm caliber? I know that you can find plenty of 22 magnums, but this round is close to the same size with a considerable Higher velocity and energy when it hits the target. I see the two main drawbacks are of course recoil because the round has much higher chamber pressure, and it is a centerfire not a rimfire. Would be cool to have one but I don't know if it is possible. I am thinking of course of a revolver type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, .327 would be better, it develops velocity fast and is a bigger bullet.

RJay, lol! Let's try to get a .32 ACP before we get up to .45 Colt.

Do you mean this one?

Times have certainly changed. Can you imagine what would happen if you used such a gun for it's intended use today?

If you mean the 5.7x28 FN, a high pressure bottleneck case like that would be wasted in a short barreled revolver. Not nearly enough barrel to take advantage of the pressure. Blast and flash would certainly be impressive and would discourage any dog.

You know. It would be nice to have a very small 5 shot.32 revolver, bigger than the NAA of course, but much smaller than the S&W I frame,

Ron, I have been saying for years that a tiny D/A .32 acp revolver would sell very well.
Many men would buy one as a "purse gun" for their women, and many men would buy them as an ultra-reliable pocket gun.

Ron, I have been saying for years that a tiny D/A .32 acp revolver would sell very well.
Many men would buy one as a "purse gun" for their women, and many men would buy them as an ultra-reliable pocket gun.

I wouldn't mind having one. My 9mm is down. So I am carrying a .22 mag NAA. Not exactly comfortable with how small it is. I can hit stuff at 5 yards. But that's it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be neat to have a NAA mini revolver in 45 Colt.

yepper this is the one to want...:p

two shot revolver...slim...one chamber over the other......one inch barrel....adjustable target sight....and break action like the ranger than didnt make it...

Last edited:
Howsabout x25 Ruskie for a little pocket derringer?

300px-7.62x25_-_FMJ_-_SB_-_5.jpg

Model12Win, or a modernized, compact version of the TT33!
As for a 5.7 NAA Mini, due to it's high pressure it would have to be a "Middi" at least.

Model12Win, or a modernized, compact version of the TT33!
As for a 5.7 NAA Mini, due to it's high pressure it would have to be a "Middi" at least.
That would be uber cool, brah.

I do know the Serbs have a Tokarev copy out now that is in 9mm and is like a 1911 officer size gun. I think it comes with upgraded sights and stuff too. I don't think they make a 7.62x25mm round chambered one but make full size Tokarevs in that caliber and they take an unusual 9 shot magazine, with a longer grip frame to hold it.

The 5.7x28 is very dependent on barrel length. Works great in a 10.4" barrel.
It falls on its face in the FiveSeven pistol with a 4.8" barrel. In a derringer it would be pitiful.

Pressure, muzzle blast, and barrel length penalties make a 'micro' 5.7x28mm anything a substantial exercise in liquid waste relief whilst facing into strong air currents.

I'd be in for one in .32 S&W Long, absolutely.
.32 Auto, not so much.

The 5.7x28 is very dependent on barrel length. Works great in a 10.4" barrel.
It falls on its face in the FiveSeven pistol with a 4.8" barrel. In a derringer it would be pitiful.
Well to be fair, the FiveseveN pistol was supposed to be a sidearm/companion to the P90.

I don't know what the 5.7X28 velocity would be in a derringer, but did chronograph the FN SS192 ammo in the FiveseveN pistol. I don't think the cartridge "falls on it's face" in the pistol length barrel. A 30 round average in the pistol was 2025 FPS....

Agreed about the FiveSeven pistol. Very impressive velocity from a short barrel. Basically .22 magnum rifle ballistics from a pistol.
Pretty sure, though, that it would fall on its face in a derringer.
Pete

Considering the actual usefulness of most of these suggestions, maybe some should just carry a picture of a REAL gun.

Back