5.5lb 21” barrel 6.5 PRC bolt action?

I hope it does well, but it's a crowded field.

Lightweight rifles have been around for a long time. The Remington 700 Ti came out in 2001 at 5.5 lbs in long action cartridges. The same year Kimber started making 5 lb bolt guns. They are now making some as light as 4.75 lbs. And Melvin Forbes who started the Ultra Light company has been building sub 5 lb rifles since 1985.

I don't like the street price of over $2K. For that price why not pony up the extra cash for a NULA and get it built exactly the way you want? With Kimber and Barrett offering similar weight rifles for $1500 or less what is my incentive to buy the Seekins?

I get that it is in the PRC cartridge, but I can probably get a NULA in that cartridge as well for a slight upcharge but it'll be 8 oz heavier. Plus, I'm not sure I really want to shoot a magnum rifle in a sub 7lbs configuration, even if it's only a 6.5mm. I know it's threaded and I can put a brake on it, but I hate brakes (even more on short barrels). Give me a .243 to .308 in a short action or a .270-.30-06 in a long action in a 7-7.5 lbs all up rifle, and that'll cover 100% of the types of hunting out to ranges I probably don't have any business shooting anyway.

Like jmr40 said it's a crowded field, and it's in the tweener position. If you have to have a PRC cartridge in a LWT rifle this will probably fill a niche. However, if you want a LWT rifle and cartridge doesn't matter as heavily then I feel it's too close to the price of a full custom rifle to make me want it.

Ammo is decidedly hard to come by. Midway shows exactly 1 brand of ammo. Hornady 143 grain ELDX hunting ammo and Hornady Match as being on No Backorder. Exactly the same at Graf's.
$48.99 per 50 for Hornady brass at Midway. The only game in town. $43.99 per 50 at Grafs, but they don't have any.
Hornady dies are $38.99. $36.79 for Lee. Anybody else's start at $70.
"...price of over $2K..." MSRP is $2795 according to that site. With little or no ammo/brass available. YIKES!!!

T. O'Heir said:
Ammo is decidedly hard to come by.

Don't worry, Hornady is good at marketing. It won't be long and other manufacturers will be offering the 6.5 PRC in a variety of ammunition types. It's only been out a couple of years, give it time.

Back