.499 caliber AR15?!

buzz_knox

Anyone heard about this thing? It's a AR15 style rifle shooting a 12.5 X 40mm proprietary round. //www.leitner-wise.com/lw15_499.html

I was thinking of the Hesse AR-15 in .50AE and I was wondering if it's the same round, so I emailed them and asked if the .499 was the same as a .50AE. They said no, it's about 1/2" longer. They do use the same bullets, though.

I don't have the email any more, so I'm not sure of this: I think they said that the weapon uses standard AR-15 mags. Apparently the round is large enough to single-stack in an AR-15 mag. A 30-round AR-15 mag will hold 10 of these big cartridges.

[This message has been edited by richardb (edited January 31, 2000).]

It's a good idea of theirs to make it .499, not .50, because the proposed statutes whose aim is to ban .50BMGs would actually ban all ".50 caliber, centerfire" guns, which means 50BMG, .50 AE, but NOT anything smaller OR larger than .50 cal. .499 -sized cartridges would not be affected, under the wording of the bills proposed so far, even though practically the same. Course, it's only a matter of time before the moron anti legislators figure out how easy this end run is, and change the wording. I can't wait to finish developing my proprietary cartridge, the .501 BMG.

we were chatting about this round in the bears thread a couple o weeks ago

i have been waiting on AA/ leitner/wise
for a year for a 22lr AR upper

the ballistic performance is close to a 45/70

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>LW 15.499TM is designed to generate devastating stopping power. Combines the rugged reliability of the AR15/M16 family of weapons with a purpose-designed cartridge. This highly compact, lightweight and dependable weapon delivers a 400-grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 1600 fps for overwhelming terminal ballistics[/quote]

this AR is kinda cute & it's a similar round to the p90: http://www.leitner-wise.com/lw782sx24.html

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

Sounds like a thumper, but I think I would rather have a LeMAG 45 Professional. .45 caliber 230grain bullet at (if I remember right), around 3000 fps. Brass is .284 Win cut down so that overall length of the cartridge is the same as the .223 ammo. Mags are formed from regular mags, feed lips are cut way back to allow this big cartridge to fit, and the mag is now a single stack with much less capacity.
According to the article I read, the "inventor" of this new caliber and upper had discussed the concept of a larger non-pistol caliber with Stoner and was told by him that it couldn't work with an AR15 upper because you would need a bigger bolt and carrier, thus a larger upper. This only served to make the guy more determined, and eventually he came up with the cartridge, barreled an upper, and had his new "magnum" AR.
The article also talked about some of magnumizations this guy has done including an M1 Carbine, can't remember what that was, but it was a substantial "improvement" over the .30 carbine.
Bergie

Back