480 Ruger

Lennyjoe

I am seriously thinking of buying a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480. I read a good article in American Hangunner on reloading the 480. I dont currently have the tools for reloading but am gonna get into it shortly. I was gonna go with the 454 until I read up on the 480 round. Just wondering if any of you alls can provide me with hands on info as far as performance, recoil and handling characteristics. Also, let me know how it performed in a hunting situation when the time comes. I have read alot of articles on this weapon and have handled one but never shot it. Gonna use it for hunting animals from hogs in Georgia to black bear in Pa and all others in between. (ie. deer, javalina and so on). Any info would definitely help me decide. Thanks.

Due to a fun & entertaining legal problem, I'm not able to own a firearm again til 3-1-04, but mine's going to be a SRH. I think every gun model is going to have a few that have problems, especially combined with a brand new cartridge such as the .480. I've seen threads about lemon Raging Bulls too and I've also read a lot of good about the .480 SRH.

I bought a .480 SRH about a month ago and I infact shot it today. I would like to add that I am quite happy with it and have experienced zero problems with 60 rounds through it thus far (I know that is not a lot but I am reporting what I do know). Ejections of the spent cases are effortless and I am happy to report that so far there not any wear marks on the cylinder, yet anyway. I am still tweaking out my sights, elevation is right on but windage is almost there but perhaps another box of ammo will do the trick.I am very satisfied with my purchase:)

Back