.480 Ruger info

Ford1911

Inactive
Can anyone provide any info on the .480 ruger. I did a search and only found one thread that did not provide much info.
I am looking for a gun to take on a Feral Hog hunt and would also like to use it for white tail deer. I am thinking of either a .44mag or .480 Ruger.

Browse through the websites of the reloading suppliers. There ought to be loading data you can compare.

Off the cuff, the .480 would have more thump at closer ranges, but I'd imagine the .44Maggie would shoot a bit flatter out past 75 or 100 yards--which is beyond practical pistol usage, generally.

Both deer and hogs have been taken with everything from the .357 on up, so it's a matter of "roll your own" and go with which ever appeals to you.

I'd take the .480 if I were going deliberately for larger hogs--but they're not as good for the table...

:), Art

Ford 1911,
Just a thought, if'n I were going to get a .475 cal pistol (.480 ruger) I think I'd get one chambered in .475 Linebaugh that way you can shoot .480 ruger in it as well. The .480 ruger is nothing but a .475 short just like a .44 special is to a .44 mag. That way you'd have a real thumper hunting pistol and a plinker in one.

Just my $.02

Back