480 Ruger bullets

ligonierbill

I've had some fun working loads for my Super Redhawk, but I figured it was time to pick a load and spend more time shooting. In the cast vs. jacketed discussion, I finally came down on the jacketed side, for powerful hunting guns at least. So the Cast Performance 410 got set aside. Hornady's 325 XTP works well. It was developed specifically for this round. And it appears to have been discontinued! No longer listed on Hornady's website. Speer's 325 Deep Curl is still listed, but nobody (please prove me wrong) has them in stock. Maybe I'll be writing a "whatever happened to the 480 Ruger" thread.

So, I'm left with two 275 grain bullets. Barnes' XPB is fast and accurate and pricey. Well, OK, this isn't a cheap round to shoot. Much cheaper, and available, is Speer's 275 Deep Curl. That one I have not tested.

If I can get my hands on more 325 Deep Curl, I'll go with that. Meanwhile, 480 shooters (and opinionators), what do you think of those 275s? Should I stock up while I can?

275 Deep Curls work well for me.
I run them in .480 Ruger (SRH) and .475 Tremor.

The 325 is more of what I want for both cartridges, but it has always been a low-demand bullet, with availability being spotty. In four years, I think I've only been able to obtain two boxes, at a time when I was thinking about it. (As in, think, 'hey, I should see if anyone has 325s in stock' ... and they actually do.)

My experience says buy a few boxes while you can.
While more consistently available than some other .475" bullets, they probably won't be a priority for Speer, for some time.

Back