480 or 454?

APBT

Inactive
Ok, here's the deal. Looks like funds will allow me to get an "ego gun." I've always liked big guns, big bullets, & a big bang. I was looking at getting a Taurus Raging Bull 454 but now I see they have a 480 model. Does anyone have a ballistic info on these two guns? Any info on how much 480 rounds cost will be helpful also. This will pretty much just be a fun gun to shoot at the range. Thanks for any info in advance. :) :cool: :cool:

I have read up on both of these rounds in the Raging bull and I have come to the conclusion that the 454 is the better way to go. The 480 is still pretty new and ammo is not as available as in the 454. Also the 454 can shoot 45 long colt rounds as well. If its for only range shooting then the 454 with 45 lc will be cheeper. Since you say you wanted an ego gun then the 454 will kick and blow flames like a true champ. If you want more info on the 480 ruger then check out ruger.com and surf thru thier forums. I have read alot of good and bad stuff on the 480. Good luck on your decision.

The 480 would have more "wow, that's cool" appeal at the range since by this time everybody has heard of if not shot a 454. If big blast and flash is what you're looking for then go with the 454 as Lenny suggests, higher pressure in the 454 will make a bigger bang.

Hottest data I've seen puts the 480 up into 454 Casull territory, a little less energy but more momentum and a bigger heavier bullet.

I haven't seen any 480 ammo for sale but I'm sure it will be EXPENSIVE. Some of the smaller custom ammo shops are selling it for $100 a box - yes, $2 a shot. The 454 will handle 45 Colts which can be found almost anywhere for $20 a box or less. If you handload either will work, if you don't I think you'll find it a lot easier to feed the 454.

If it were me and I was looking for a ego gun I'd go with the 480, it's newer, its more powerful (by some measures) it tosses really big bullets down range and it's developing a reputation for being extremely accurate - at least in the Rugers.

I would go with the 454 personally. Either cartridge is enough to tackle just about anything on the planet that can be taken with a handgun, but the 454 will let you shoot the less potent 45LC. This can be a money and wrist saver. Another plus will be that with so many people itching for a 454 levergun, there is bound to be one coming out soon. Then you will have a perfect hunting combination.

Thanks guys. I'll get the 454. Don't want to have to spend too much money for ammo, looks like it's cheaper to feed the 454.

I'd go with the 454 as well. For the simple reason that you can feed it cheaper less powerful ammo (45LC) when funds are low....

If you really want an ego gun get a T/C in a rifle caliber. That bucks like a mule & really blows flame out of the shorter pistol barrel.

Or you might want to give on of Magnum Researches BFR revolvers in 45/70 a looksee. These things are a real hoot to shoot and the cylinder length will draw more that a few " jesus, what's that" comments. They do have quite a bit of muzzle blast but are quite pleasant to shoot.

Back