475 linebaugh

Righthawk44

Inactive
Im in the market for a 475 linebaugh and im wondering what everyone's opinions are of the round compared to the 460s&w and 500s&w. Before everyone tells me about recoil and ammo prices know that the only thing i own (besides shotguns) are big bore revolvers and im not recoil sensitive in the slightest. I have alot of experience with a 445 supermag but im looking for something that really goes bang to challenge myself.

The 475 is a bigger hammer than the 460 yet does not require a cartoonishly large revolver like the X frame Smith. Same goes for the standard length 500's like the Linebaugh, Wyoming Express and JRH. A BFR or custom Ruger in any of these calibers is a portable powerhouse. An X frame Smith, not so much. Bring a horse.

There's a 500 Linebaugh also.

I'm not a fan of single action, hence my choice of X-frames.

I believe the ballistics are similar to the 454 Casull but the variability of loads is so wide amongst these platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What are you planning to do with 475?

Comparison with X-frames would be apples / orange type comparison.
For the amount of power the X-frames are friendlier in my opinion.

As mention double action compared to single action, individual preference.
I find single actions more difficult to shoot consistently as power goes up.

All these and other choices (480 Ruger, 500 JRH, 500 WYO and other Linebaugh cartridges) all capable hunting choices.

An interesting note is Jack Huntington is now building a 475 Special on S&W N frame.

As reference I currently have/shoot both X-frame calibers out of both Smiths, TC and BFR. Preference here is double action, single action then single shoot.
Also have a CP1 in 460 and find no fun at all to shoot.
Other single actions in 500JRH include BFR and Ruger.

No longer own 480 Ruger, 475 Linebaugh, 500 Linebaugh but have shoot them. Nothing wrong with these just can only shoot so many and chose 452 and .500 calibers to consolidate my reloading stock.

Get what you like

be safe
Ruggy

Im a hunter, i practice with max loads for one well placed shot. I prefer double action as i find them the most comfortable to shoot. I live in missouri so im not looking to defend myself against brown bears. I just want the pistol that hits with the most authority at 100 yards. Over kill is a myth as far as im concerned.

Exactly one of the draws for me Jack, I just cant get past the bonkers size of the X frame. Its ridiculous.
Its really not in a hunting rig. It doesnt swing and point like a snub nose but I find it well suited for its purpose. I also wouldnt want to tackle that cartridge in a smaller lighter frame.I have also considered a 480 Ruger or 475 Lim for something a little lighter to carry on a hike.

A friend let me shoot his RSR in .480 ruger. The lack of punishing recoil was amazing. I have a RSR in .454 Casull, The recoil in the .454 is brutal compared to the same gun but in .480. More of a push than a Jolt. He asked me if he could shoot the .475 Linebaugh cartridge in his .480, I didn't know....can you?

He asked me if he could shoot the .475 Linebaugh cartridge in his .480, I didn't know....can you?

No. The Linebaugh cartridge is longer and so won't chamber in the 480 cylinder. Like a .357 Mag cartridge in a 38 Special revolver, it won't fit.

Its really not in a hunting rig.
It really is, even in a hunting rig. There's no reason for a handgun to weigh 5 pounds. Some are even heavier. Problem is that they went overboard with the 460 and 500. Both are lot of unnecessary length, pressure and muzzle blast. The 454 at factory levels of around 50kpsi is plenty and the 500 could've been done similar. Which is not to say that a 475 or 500 in a Ruger single action that weighs half as much is for the faint of heart. S&W went overboard and it seems to be working for them. Although probably more with the range show offs than hunters and seasoned shooters. Seems to me that they've brought in a lot of shooters who did not previously have much interest in such things and are all but completely unfamiliar with the 475's and 500's that existed since the 1980's.

There's no reason for a handgun to weigh 5 pounds.

When you move to super magnum realm weight becomes your friend.
Shoot a 460 or 500 s&W from a single action and then their X-frame.

When looking for more means longer cases, more case capacity and higher pressure, part of that means more blast and noise.

Each individual needs to decide where they will stand on the power curve, some will chose the middle, some the top, and some will look to expand the curve.

When the Casull was invented/developed the Super Magnum class was born and I don't see it going away any time soon. Getting rifle performance from a short barrel isn't easy.

Get what you like and don't worry about the rest.

Be safe
Ruggy

shoot'em if you got'em

When looking for more means longer cases, more case capacity and higher pressure, part of that means more blast and noise.
No kidding but more for what purpose? It's a fool's errand to try and get rifle like performance out of a revolver and it's unnecessary anyway. Even the 460 needs a super light bullet to get over 2000 ft/sec. We've learned a lot in the years since since Dick Casull's experimentation with the 45 Colt resulted in the 454. Namely that velocity in handguns is hugely overrated. After a point you're just increasing recoil and noise for no real world gain. The 5 pound 500 Smith is no better performer than a standard length 500 on the Ruger frame. It just weighs twice as much and blows your ear drums for nothing.

The 5 pound 500 Smith is no better performer than a standard length 500 on the Ruger frame.

By what standard or metric?

The 500 S&W shoots flatter and shoots heavier bullets.

It's a fool's errand to try and get rifle like performance out of a revolver and it's unnecessary anyway

Why is rifle like performance out of a handgun - there is no try here it was done. While I agree the 200 grain bullet is light for caliber it can reach out there and get it done. Yes it is loud but guns load some more than others.

If your line of thinking is the same as that decried the 44 Mag was not necessary, look where we are today, it made room for all the big bore handguns today including those by Linebaugh and Jack Huntington.

Necessary or needed has nothing to with it if that the case there is little need for revolvers today.

Again choose what you like - support the likes of others - the revolver community is small and can support all the calibers we have today and those we will have in the future.

The only bad choose is the one that got away.

Lets go shoot

be safe
Ruggy

Last edited:
He asked me if he could shoot the .475 Linebaugh cartridge in his .480, I didn't know....can you?

no, however you can ryo(roll your own) 480 R hotter to get basically 475 LB power(but only really with the lightball loadings), the factory 480 R is only 2K psi less than factory 475 LB psi, IIRC.

Last edited:
Back