460 Performance Center has polygonal rifling?

DirtyHarold

Today I called and spoke with an individual from S&W and they told me that the Performance Center 460 has polygonal rifling, but I’m unable to confirm this anywhere else. Have any of you heard of this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I called and spoke with an individual from S&W and they told me that the Performance Center 460 has polygonal rifling, but I’m unable to confirm this anywhere else. Have any of you heard of this before?

I am assuming you are concerned if you can shoot lead bullets in the gain twist rifling? The answer is yes you can. However, only very hard bullets with a brinell hardness around 20 or so should be used as the 460 is a very high pressure and velocity cartridge.

I personally like the 300-325g Jacketed bullets best in my 460 XVR.

My 460 came with two different muzzle breaks: one for lead bullets, and one for jacketed. The difference is the one for lead bullets omits some of the up facing ports.

I am assuming you are concerned if you can shoot lead bullets in the gain twist rifling? The answer is yes you can. However, only very hard bullets with a brinell hardness around 20 or so should be used as the 460 is a very high pressure and velocity cartridge.

I personally like the 300-325g Jacketed bullets best in my 460 XVR.

My 460 came with two different muzzle breaks: one for lead bullets, and one for jacketed. The difference is the one for lead bullets omits some of the up facing ports.

I’m not wondering for lead ammo, I just want to know exactly what I’m going to get when I’m about to drop $1500 on a gun.

I’ve now spoken with 3 people from S&W customer service; two have said that the PC model has polygonal rifling and one has said that the rifling is the same on all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter what rifling they have, I have not heard any complaints. Most owners are excited to have them.

I’m not wondering for lead ammo, I just want to know exactly what I’m going to get when I’m about to drop $1500 on a gun.

I’ve now spoken with 3 people from S&W customer service; two have said that the PC model has polygonal rifling and one has said that the rifling is the same on all of them.

Then what's the difference?

It's a great gun. I love shooting and reloading for mine. It never goes un-noticed at the range either. :)

Back