45LC compared to 357 deer hunting

bucksnort13

How does the 45LC compare to the 357 mag I am really considering a single action revolver to carry for deer hunting but I see a lot more 45LC for sale. Should I hold out and get a 357 mag or do you think the 45LC would work out fine.

Both will work. Which one do YOU really want? Will you be using it for more than just a secondary/back up weapon or is it going to be a primary weapon? Do you reload or just use factory ammo? Is it going to be a regular range toy also?

Bigger is better in hadguns for deer

Most 357 bullets just don't do well beyond 50 yds, and then you still need a perfect shot.

A 44 or 45 has the weight and power to punch through bone and still get deep into the vitals even on angled shots

Go with the ole western war horse, I have 7 45LC's and you just can't hardly beat that round very versitile and a large selection of bullets avalible for it, you can load it lite or heavy depending on the SA you choose, for hunting the Ruger Black Hawk is a very good choice, good luck on your selection.

I will probably use this as a backup until I get comfortable shooting it. I like both the 357 mag and the 45LC I have seen a 357 mag used on deer I have not seen what a 45LC will do on a deer. I am more concerned if a 45LC will be as good as a 357 mag on deer with penetration out to about 40 yds.

With the Ruger you can load 45 long colts as hot as 41 and darn close to 44 mag ballistics and with 250, 275, and 300 grain bullets I don't think you will have any problem out performing the 357 mag.

Here in Maryland, you must use a pistol caliber that has over 700 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. The 357 mag is just at the border line or under. You can really use some stout 45LC rounds, so I would stick with the 45 Long Colt for deer or even bear for that matter.

Check out Cor-Bon's DPX ammunition, in 45 Long Colt, 225 grain +P, Barnes hollowpoint XPB bullet; at 720 foot pounds of energy.

Last edited:
I like both the 357 mag and the 45LC I have seen a 357 mag used on deer I have not seen what a 45LC will do on a deer. I am more concerned if a 45LC will be as good as a 357 mag on deer with penetration out to about 40 yds.

John Linebaugh thinks the 45LC is up to the task, I feel the same way he does.
I'll be deer hunting with a 45LC handgun this year shooting a 255 gr SWC at a velocity of 950 fps, I don't believe I'll have any trouble killing my deer.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

The .357 is a better choice if you can only shoot standard tradition .45LC cartridges, but if you get a Ruger Blackhawk, you can get or load .45LC ammo that is "Ruger Only" and meets or exceeds .44 magnum performance. That is by far the best way to go. I'd go with the 6" or 7 1/2" barrel for deer.

With the Ruger you can load 45 long colts as hot as 41 and darn close to 44 mag ballistics and with 250, 275, and 300 grain bullets I don't think you will have any problem out performing the 357 mag.

Actually in a Blackhawk with same weight bullets the .45lc can exceed the performance of a .44 mag. The .357 isn't even in the same league.

Bigger is better.

.45 Colt, with Garrett or Buffalo Bore "+P" loads and a 6 to 8" barrel. But better yet; neither - use a rifle - or is this just for the challenge of it?

Having used both the .357 and .44 Magnums successfully on deer, I can tell you that the .44 is much more effective.

Yes, the .357 works but it's not in the same league as the .44. You will end up tracking and / or losing deer with the .357 that would have been put down in relatively short order with the same shot from a .44 or .45.

Considering the similarity of ballistics between the .44 Mag and the .45 Colt, of your choices I will highly recommend the .45 (with modern loads).

Bella said:
The 45 doesn't stand a just being compared to the 357 or 44.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Many people see the weak .45 Colt loads and assume that's the standard across the board for the round. S&W DA revolvers, Colt SAA's, and the Ruger New Model Vaquero can only handle standard pressure .45 Colt rounds which is why many ammunition manufacturers put out weak .45 Colt loads. Although there are several .45 revolvers that can handle .45 Colt loads on par with the .44 magnum.

As long as you don't use the weak .45 Colt loads, a good hard cast wadcutter .45 Colt round makes an excellent round for deer, and will easily outperform a .357.

Keep in mind, the Ruger New Vaquero can only handle standard pressure .45 Colt loads. Even so Buffalo Bore makes a great standard pressure hard cast wadcutter .45 Colt. The Vaqueros have fixed sights though, something you may not want for deer hunting.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=268

The Ruger Blackhawk which has adjustable sights, old model Vaquero which is built on a larger frame than the New model, or the DA Ruger Redhawk can handle the hot and heavy .45 Colt loads which are on par with .44 Magnum.

This would make a excellent round for deer which is perfectly safe in the guns mentioned above.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=38

Remember, the NEW model Vaquero, Colt SAA's, and S&W DA revolvers can not handle these +P .45 Colt loads safely.

Personally I would go with a Ruger Blackhawk since you want a single action. It will handle the heavy +P .45 Colt loads and has the benefit of adjustable sights.

Last edited:
As mentioned, bigger is better. I would choose 45LC in a Ruger platform (Blackhawk). You have to decide if you want to be the most effective using a handgun for deer hunting or are you simply choosing something that is comfortable to you? Yes, it takes more effort to learn to shoot the larger caliber and more powerful loads. Practice and master it at 25 and 50 yds first (6" circle), then proceed to longer ranges. Know you limitations.

Is the handgun to be used as your primary hunting firearm or are you simply carrying it as a backup? A backup generally is not needed while deer hunting unless you are concerned about bears. But many will carry a secondary handgun just because they want to.

45 Colt. S&W

I have Ruger Super Blackhawks & m-29 S&W 44mags, fine guns, have killed
deer with no problems. I also have Colt & S&W. 45c, I can't lay down the M-25
8 3/8" 45. I shoot 250 gr RnFp cast , from old Ideal mold. Velocity is approx.
850fps. I have shot deer 30-60 yds with this load with no problems. Colt is new
service, fixed sight, haven't used this one to hunt with.

Back