45colt ammo

MellowMikey

Who makes personal defense ammo for the 45colt caliber?
I would like a Taurus 45 snubby, but I would like to find a little hotter ammo and Cor-bon is the only manufacturer that I am aware of that makes decent ammo for the 45colt.

Thanks,
Mellow

Speer loads their famous 200gr "flying ashtray" load in the 45 Colt in the inexpensive Blazer line and I belive in the Lawman line as well.

Cor-Bon & Winchester

Cor-Bon = 200gr JHP @ 1100fps/537fpe

OR

Winchester = 225gr STHP @ 920fps/423fpe

Unfortunately:(, that's about it for factory defense loads, other than the Blazer load mentioned above.

BFH's.....

Skip2,

Bullets ALWAYS matter, but where the hole is matters more.....

------------------------------------

"all my holes are factory holes"

Much depends on what you term "decent" self defense ammo. Remington and Winchester still load their classic, albeit somewhat old fashioned, 250 and 255 gr RNFP ammo, at about 850 fps. Black Hill and UltraMax market similar "cowboy" ammo, at, I believe, somewhat reduced velocities. I have one carefully-hoarded 20-round box of .45 Colt 255 gr. LSWC ammo, factory loaded by Black Hills, but I have not seen this for sale in several years. Oh, yeah, I think PMC also sells a cowboy load. Also--Might try Atlanta Ammunition web site. I believe they offer a good SWC load.

Really, the old-type Win and Rem loads aren't bad--A good deal stiffer than a .45 ACP ball load.

On the other end of the spectrum, a couple of companies offer the .45 S&W short "Scofield" cowboy load--a 230 bullet at about 750 fps. This would give you a far more pleasant practice load for the little snub gun.

best,
Johnny

I like all the choices. Big holes, big bullets, I just wish they were a little faster out of the snubby. Oh well, can't have it all. :)

Thanks,
Mellow

Back