.45C Brass length

Shotgun12

Inactive
Howdy all,
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried trimmed their .45 Colt cases (or any others) back, to maybe gain the advantage of being able to get a case that is more completely powder filled, assuming this could be an improvement?

You can trim or you can just buy .45 Schofield brass or even .45 Cowboy Special which is the length of .45 ACP with the rim of .45 Colt. (NOT the same as .45 Auto Rim.)

Since I already have the .45C brass I figured it would be a better way to go rather than going with a diff case of another caliber.
Just wondering if this could be a quick fix for a possible gain in performance.

I trim them all just once to get a consistent crimp. There are plenty of good powders that work quite well with standard length cases. The 45 Colt doesn't need to be re-invented.

Shotgun12,

Would suggest you look at getting some Red Dot powder. It's a bulky powder with a good fill ratio in the cavernous .45 Colt case.

Don

The plus side is more pressure from a smaller quantity of powder. The downside is a long jump to the throat of the cylinder, giving bypassing gas more time to escape around the bullet and do gas cutting, which can unbalance the bullet and lead the chamber, requiring it to be removed before a full-length case will chamber again. Pluses and minuses.

Another negative is, if you shorten the case too much, then you impact the ability of the seating die to apply a crimp.

Don

It ain't worth it. Besides, you might need that extra case capacity if you load it up with real Black Powder, or, if you load it up with IMR-4227 for some rifle loads.

Back