45acp Revolvers: Which one?

Stoic

I want to purchase a S&W 625 Revolver in 45acp.

It is my understanding that my choices are:

(1) S&W 625 with 5'' barrel with a full lug

(2) S&W 625 MountainGun w/4'' tapered barrel

(3) S&W 625 PC V-comp

(4) S&W 625 PC Jerry Miculek Model.

(5) Dan Wesson 460 Rowland

What are the pros and cons of each version?

What are the dealer prices? I am especially interested in the dealer price for the Dan Wesson?

625mtn.jpg

625jerrygun.jpg

vcomp45acp_large.jpg

7460-snack.jpg

With 3&4, you will be paying a lot of money. On the other hand, the S&W PC does turn out fine guns.

The mountain gun is lighter, and would be better for concealed carry.

#1, the standard 625, is what the others are based on. I think the extra weight will be better for a day on the range. It also looks to be the best proportioned to me. The only thing I would change is the grips. I like the looks of hardwood grips. Maybe get the trigger tuned.

For #3, do you really need a compensator for a .45 ACP? And the grips are ugly to me. The factory work is great though. I don't like the tapered barrel and the charcoal grips.

Do you really think #4 will help you shoot like Jerry Miculek?

I got my 625 V-Comp brand new and it IS a very fine
handleing piece. HOWEVER, I really can't recommend it except as a range gun as at 43oz. it's very heavy. The
Comp is cool to look at but other than +P+ handloads
around 1,200 fps it's a non-issue. Sub 1 inch group from
25 yards off a bag are the norm and a coffee can at 100
is in trouble. Most any factory ammo will group under 1 1/2 inch.

The Mountain Gun sees just as much range time as the V-Comp
and I'd go with it...dewey

I've got both (1) and (2). Both seem to about equal in the accuracy department. When I sighted them in, both were able to put all six rounds into a one inch square at fifteen yards. I guess I'm a little more partial to the Mountain Gun, since it's more compact and lighter. But the five incher is maybe a little easier to shoot accurately at the range. As for a compensator, save that for a more powerful round. You don't need it with a fairly heavy revolver; the .45ACP just doesn't generate that much recoil.

Great forum. I shoot stock 625's. Align them, install Wolff springs, sights of your choice. I shoot d/a and use a staging trigger stop in bullseye. A good time.

I love my 625-6. I bought a light 4" 625 Mt. Gun and it gives me a blood blister on the index finger every time I shoot 100 rounds or more through it. The heavier 5" full lug barrel tames recoil and allows one the shoot 500 rounds in an hour without fatigue. Get enough moon clips to load up 300 rounds in clips at a time.

The 610 is a good choice, too for all the same reasons the 625 is a great gun. And, the brass, clips and bullets are cheaper.

A vote for the Mountain Gun

Having the exact same dilemma as you did, I chose the MG. But then I wanted something I could actually carry comfortably in a holster on my hip, both for concealed carry and for farm use.

I gotta tell ya, the MG is pretty much at the upper weight limit for anything you would want to actually carry. I would like the heavy-lugged version, but it would get left in the safe.

As for the gun being too light to shoot accurately, I consider myself somewhat recoil-sensitive, and I don't have any problems shooting 50 rounds through mine. To me, it has more "muzzle whip" than hand-hurting recoil.

Fish22,

You must have large hands to shoot a 625 double action in bullseye matches. I've tried it and found the trigger reach to be too long for good leverage.

Single action works fine, though. ;)

625's

Stoic
I know I'm prejudiced, but I'm convinced the 625 in all its forms is head and shoulders over all the other N frames;[some of the 27's and 29's may be almost as good]

I expect to read any day now that Smith & Wesson has folded.If I were you I would be very selfish and pick up every 625 variation I could find, because if they do go under,you may not have that chance again.-Wally

Wally,

I think that I've decided to go with the S&W 625 Mountain Gun with the 4 inch tapered barrel if I can find one. Otherwise, I'll go with the standard 625 with the 5inch barrel and full underlug.

No gunstore in my area has a 625 in stock. I'll have to wait until a used one turns up. The 625 will make a perfect companion to my 610 in 10mm and .40 S&W.

HEY STOIC !

I think if I were you I'd flash right on over to auctionarns or gunbroker and pick up on one now. They are around $500 but once the weather breaks they are N O T going to get any cheaper....best....dewey

Stoic
You will love the Mountain Gun if you can find one.I picked up mine last fall and it is one of my very favorites. Have had the 5" 625 since 1988 with a Serial No. under 100, and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Don't remember seeing one for sale in ages.Also have the PC model on order.625's are like $100 bills, you simply can't have too many of them.Good luck in your search.-Wally

I have know experiance with the S&W gun, but I do know about a good Ruger that might help you. Try a Ruger Blackhawk with .45LC and .45acp cylinders. GEt one with a
4 3/4 barrel and it will pack real nicely. Two calibers in one gun sounds like a good plan to me. Just my humble opinon.

Back