45ACP+P

Hello. Several makers offer Plus P ammunition in 165, 185, and 200 gr bullet weights. These include CorBon, Triton, and Remington. Hornady offers both a 200 and 230 gr XTP in Plus P. Best.

Yes, I use ProLoad .45 JHP+P in my Glock 30 and USP45F. No probs whatsoever. I use PL for ALL my JHP defensive ammo except .32 Silvertips, including 9mm, .40, and .38spl.

It comes highly recommended from reviewers, works perfectly, and is cheaper than most premium ammo. JHP uses a Speer bullet (of Gold Dot fame) and nickel cases (I think). I don't know much about their FMJ, but get some!

Most +P stuff is loaded with really fast powder, like 231 or Bullseye which is to reduce flash. Slower stuff like N 350 or Blue Dot makes a better hunting load as velocities of 1200 ft/sec are possible at +P levels. Please use a buffer, fully supported chamber barrel and 24 lb spring and reloading data from the maker of the powder. Do not deviate froom their listed components.

I use Proload 124 gr in 9 and 200gr in 45. It's quite accurate and the Speer bullets are apparently quite good. ljlc

Keith J. More info please

Keith, you said that most plus p loads were with powders like WW231. Do you have any specific load data? I am loading 231, and have Starline plus p brass for my 45acp, and am interested in any data about plus p charges. Thanks
45Colt

My +p loads do NOT use W231

7.0 gr. W231, which is a +p pressure load at about 23,000 psi, will push a 200 gr. bullet at about 1000 FPS. I use AA# 5 and 7 for my hot .45's. I hear PowerPistol is also a good powder. Other choices would be HS6 and HS7, Unique, and VV350. The slower burning powders will not have the high pressure peak the faster ones do. The high pressure peak is what causes KBooms. I would not consider using W231 for +p as the pressure peak is just too fast, because with AA#7 I can push a 200 gr. bullet at 1150 FPS. Sorry, that load is classified... :D

Desert Dog - Do you believe that the ProLoad 230gr FMJ at a 1000fps out of the Glock 21 would be excessive? I don't reload so I am unfamiliar with the different powders. This is a +P rated load. Thanks.

I have been told by a trusted source that Black Hills 230fmj
are about the hottest factory loads.

I only shoot standard loads in 230 fmj's.

I like the 230+P jhp from Hornady.

Back