45ACP enfield conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickb

Inactive
Gents, coming mostly from a rifle background, don't know much about autos. However can get my hands on one of those kits to convert an enfield no.4 bolt action rifle to 45ACP.

I know this isn't the precise forum for it, but its not a typical bolt action calibre so I was hoping the 45 guys might chime in. I could search a lot of this stuff but sometimes its easier to throw yourself on the mercy of a forum and see if anyone can short cut the learning process. I had a few questions if anyone might help.

Any idea what a 16-20" barrel does for extra velocity over pistols in 45ACP. In my 357's I get a few extra hundred fps but the 45 doesn't burn that much powder. Do you gain anything at all as a rule?

Can someone give me a short answer on the difference between 45ACP, +P and the 45 super. I am of the understanding the super is just the same case loaded hotter? If so I am assuming in the enfiled with its higher pressure rating(49,000 PSI) I can load super level ammo. Thoughts or has anyone ran some heavier loads in this conversion themselves. Whilst not trying to turn the 45 into a 454 casull would be interesting to know what can be done.

I was also wondering if 45 colt 255grain or even 300 grain hardcast could squeeze in the magazine for low velocity thumping fun?

Thanks for any thoughts. I have about 30 years in the sport of guns and 20 years on gun forums but this is a new one for me. Have an old no.4 that is pretty beat up, might even make a nice plinking and small game rifle for the boy too.

Last edited:
Thanks Tunnel rat. I am going to talk to my gunsmith about running 45 super in this too. I don't think its going to be anywhere near enfield ratings, but there is also bolt thrust etc, so he can advise.

This discussion obviously does not involve a handgun, so we'll close it now. Mick, if you want to continue discussing the conversion, please make your questions specific and post in the discussion area most appropriate to the question being asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back