.45acp auto question

bfj2

I am a revolver guy but I am looking to start getting some autos. At first I am going to try and stick with the same size rounds which will make shooting all the different guns easier and cheaper. The ammo that I am thinking about going with is the .45acp with the first gun being a Sig P220, Glock 21, or Colt (M1911A1 Commander or the Defender).

My questions are:
1) Is the .45acp a good round to start your auto collection with? (Remember I like large revolvers the the M444 Raging bull which is a .44mag by Taurus)
2) Which of those 4 guns would you recommend, or maybe a totally different one?
3) If you recommend a different ammo which gun would you use with it?

The .45 is a great choice for an all purpose caliber.

Since you like the larger calibers, you should have a blast getting an aftermarket barrel to shoot the .45 Super, .400 Corbon and .40 Super. These are guranteed to make the guy in the next lane give you nasty looks!:D

As for weapon preference- go out and shoot them and you pick. Aftermarket parts are readily available as well as holsters.

Load Choices would be the 230gr for full size barrels 4 to 5in. and 185 to 200 for shorter barrels 4in and below.

I love my .45 for concealed carry , but to get the max practice I ended up getting a 9mm also. I typically shoot 3 to 4 times as much 9mm ammo than .45 at each range session. Its kinda hard to beat $6.00 a box for ammo.

Good Shooting
RED

The .45 ACP is very forgiving to load for and inherently accurate. It is a great caliber to start with. If you handload it is easy to manufacture light recoiling accurate loads that you can comfortably shoot all day.

All of your gun choices seem fine. I like 1911s so would personally go with a variant of those but have shot Glocks and Sigs and was impressed with both.

The .45 ACP is indeed a great round. I think you would be happy with any of the following .45s (in no particular order).....

Glock 21/30
Sig Sauer P220
Ruger P97
HK USP
Kimber/Springfield 1911s

and you might wish to add the CZ 97B to his list.

That in fact is my favorite .45! The only reason I didn't put it on the list is that there appear to be problems with the magazines. The CZ 97B is super accurate, has excellent ergonomics and balance, plus its one of the lowest recoiling .45s I have ever shot. But, it appears they messed up with the magazines. The magazines are made by Mec Gar. Many people have had trouble feeding various hollowpoints lately. Nearly everyone has traced the feeding problems to the magazines. It is a shame that such a great gun uses such junk magazines. I wouldn't feel right recommending a pistol that may or may not feed hollowpoints.

Great caliber choice. All the guns mentioned I would love to own; I have or do own several of them. I prefer the 1911s but if I was going to buy another it would be the Ruger (of course that doesn't mean I would be getting rid of the 1911s or buying the Ruger in lieu of the 1911s; just in addition)

If it is your first auto, for the money, I would either get:

1. Glock 21 or 30, both are great. the 21 gives you more caliber options with a barrel/and or spring change. You can get either for 499.00 NIB
2. A Springfield 1911 Full Size loaded, also available for 499.00
3. The HK USP, really a great gun. Cost a little more though

I have all the above and like them all, but if I had to choose, My HK Tactical .45ACp is my favorite......

Have not shot the CZ, but again, heard only good stuff about it.

RG,

Where the heck are ya?..I can't get prices like that anywhere near here in NW Fl.

Glocks run $550 to $650. Sigs and HK's..well the sky is the limit on those.

Good shooting
RED

I love 1911 style autos, but if you are not real familiar with autos, probably would go with a Glock or Sig, then get the 1911 later.

Gotta be careful with 1911s... they are addictive.

Sounds like your talking about some reloading work.
Glocks and SIGs dont like reloads... Not that they wont function - just that it could void your warranty and the Glock might blow up on you. ;)
The 1911 is the choice I would make despite my fondness for the P220. The Springfield 1911A1 would be the gun you would want because Springfield seems to expect you to reload since they make that 1911 beefier than others on the market (read as "Kimber").

George,

Doesn't shooting handlods in just about EVERY gun void the warrant?

Ruger, in fact, doesn't even come with an express warranty due to the Magnuson-Moss act. I don't know about the others...

Greeting's All:

Great choice of caliber; and all the weapons you mentioned
are superbly made firearms. I am biasis in my opinion, so
I will keep my mouth closed as to which one you should choose. However, if you decide to use this piece for CCW;
then my all means check out MagTech's new line of ammunition. Don't let the gold-coloring fool you,
as this is really good stuff.:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Beretta 8045. It is a compact. It has a variety of trigger options.

H&K USP Compact, .45 ACP.

Para-Ordnance LDA, various versions.

bfj2,

I'm with gryphon, take a look at the HK model .45's. You can go from compact to the full blown SOCOM MK 23. You can add laser aiming modules, flashlights, flash suppessors, and silencers without modifying you pistol. Accuracy, reliability, and ruggedness are surperb. Eat's everything you feed it including +P loads. They have models for CCW, home defense, competion to third world covert incursions. If you want a .45 you've got to consider Heckler & Koch.

Flattop

I have looked at the H&K but they are very $$$$. I think I will be getting the Sig P220. I could get that and a new Taurus revolver (like the M608 or M44) for the price of the H&K. But you can count that I will be getting one sometime.

Ditto on the HK. I just purchased a USP45f, and whoooeee, what a piece. I've only got 100 rounds though it so far, but neither I nor it can wait for more.

It's a solid, solid design, ergonomic (IMO), lightweight, accurate, etc. etc. etc. . . .

I pd. $788 out the door (the pistol, 2 boxes of ammo, bore brush, sales tax). While a high price, I REALLY like it, and since it was a graduation gift to myself I figured I'm worth it (and that it had the AB date code to mark my '01 college graduation is kinda spify, too:)).

Too be fair, I should add that the HK is the only 45 I've had thus far, so I might be a little biased. Now, where'd I put that Kimber catalog? :)

rvb

Back