458 socom in 45/70?

79Maliboo

Inactive
I am just starting my journey with reloading on my 45 70 sharps and am looking at bullets to run in it. I cant find anywhere that the 458 socom could or could not be packed into a 45/70 cart. As the normal rounds are 458/459. Does anyone have any words on this one way or another?

Do you mean just the bullets?

There are many fine bullets made for the .45-70, both jacketed and cast. Any bullet of the proper diameter can be used, but examine what it is you want from that bullet.

Look at the velocities the .458 SOCOM runs, and the bullets it uses. If you can get those velocities from your .45-70 (SAFELY!!!), then you would get similar performance down range.

The Sharps is not the strongest of .45-70s, although it will handle more than I would put in a Trapdoor Springfield, its not a Ruger.

I admit, I don't know much about the .458 SOCOM, but isn't it made to give (standard?) .45-70 ballistics from an AR class rifle?

there are commonly 3 levels of 45-70.

1. Trap door
2. Lever action
3. Ruger

the ruger can take some really hot loads. The 458 Socom sits at about level 1.8 in my highly subjective opinion.

I thought they used .45-70 bullets and that there are no .458 socom-specific bullets. There are weights and profiles that work better with the .458, but that's about it. If you're looking for bullets for your rifle, might I suggest good cast bullets?

.458 Socom and modern .45-70 share the same barrel bore specifications and can use the same diameter bullets. The Socom has some stubby spitzers that would be ok in your Sharps but not in a lever action.
Load data is not interchangeable.

Back