.455 Webly ballistics?

My 52 Lyman book lists several loads. Unique loads 190gr 800fps 270ft lb. 225gr 750fps 281ft lb. All the loads I show are for cast bullets.

Sam

The .455 Revolver Mk II (aka Webley) used a 265-270 gr. bullet with a muzzle velocity of about 600 pfs, giving it about 220 ft. lbs. of energy.

Yep, I've shot quite a few military surplus and reloads through a friend's .455 over the years. Lots of fun.

I've always wanted one of these, but the fact that it amounts to a ".45-caliber .380" has deterred me from investing $. I have shot a couple (one belonged to a friend, and one to a store that I worked for at the time), and they're pretty neat.

CR Sam, those Lyman ballistics look better than I'd ever heard. Quite an improvement over the mil ammo ammo we had (which was running somewhere in the mid-600s). I think Remington had a load available for the Webley in the late '80s, but I don't know if they still list it.

Darn it, Nightcrawler, you've done it again! Here I am again, thinking wistfully that maybe I need a handgun that I'd managed to totally put out of my mind for years.

According to...

Cartridges of the World: 9th Edition (my latest bedtime reading book), we have:

Fiocchi factory load: 262gr FMJ, 700fps/285fpe
Military load: 265gr FMJ, 600fps/220fpe

HTH! :)

Erich,

but the fact that it amounts to a ".45-caliber .380"

Huh?

It may not be quite as powerful as the military .45 ACP, but it's no slouch, either...

The .455 developed quite the reputation as an effective combat round.

Well, maybe I overstated a little . . .

Sure, Mike, but c. 200 fpe? 600-odd fps? We're talking .38 spl snub/.380 energy level. No, as I said, I always liked the idea of getting a Webley, but - reputation (I believe it was a fictional Brit who compared a .32 acp to "a brick through a plate glass window" ;) )or not - it's not a particularly powerful round. That's all I meant. I confess that I did overstate my case for humorous effect.

Uh, who cares about energy?

The .455 will make a big hole, and it will make it deep. That's what matters.

Oh no! Not again!

I don't want to re-hash Fackler v. Marshall and the Strasbourg goat tests for the umpty-millionth time. Think whatever you want. I certainly haven't shot enough people to compare, so all I have to go on are reports and projections from other people.

"Wasn't the .455 also called the Manstopper?"

No.

That was a specific loading in the .455 Webley.

Essentially, it was a square-shoulder wadcutter design with an ENORMOUS cavity in the front.

It was developed in response to British experience in, I believe, the Sudan.

The native tribes over there too bullets in much the same way that the Hucs & Moros did in the Philippines.

The bullet was only issued for use against "non-Christians," as it was felt that shooting them with HPs posed no essential moral/ethical problems.

I've got a manstopper cartridge in my collection. Ugly damned thing.

Ooookay...

as a confirmed flaming Anglophile (okay, perhaps *flaming* isn't the best term to use), I am starting to get the 'must obtain a Webley' itch.

How much do those bad boys go for these days? Yes yes, value varies by many factors. Ballpark?

My SMLE and associated bayonet are getting lonely.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks. I didn't realize the manstopper was a specific loading. I thought the manstopper referred to the .455 Webley in general.

Manstopper .455 = The Black Talon of it's day? (<--fairly accurate comparison?)

Tamara,
LOL! Touche' ;)

Back