454's rock...!

Kobra

I got my first taste of a 454 this weekend and all I can say is "Whoa!!". You have to hold on to the baby like you would the side of a cliff luckily I am blessed with large hands. Another buddy who isn't exactly in prime shape and has girly-sized hands nearly knocked himself out with it on a previous outing.

It was a buddy of mine's and it was a 7 1/2" Ruger with a variable Leupold on it (extra weight that he says makes a hell of a difference). He had to go to 3 gunsmiths before somebody could get the scope to stay in place under the recoil of that cartridge.

One of these has definitely been added to my wishlist.

One thing about firing the 454 is that you are not going to through as much ammo during a firing session as you would with lighter calibers (unless you're a masochist :D ) I prefer the Winchester Super X 250 Gr JHP (I only need to wear one pair of shooting gloves) The 260 gr SJSP starts getting a bit hotter and the 300 gr JSP definetly calls for two pair of gloves.

The Super-X are kittens in my Taurus. I am a bb belivever of weight and good rubber grips. My roommate from college has a .44 Vacquero with the 5-3/8 (?) barrel and it is not at all fun to shoot.

I have some 260 gold that rock!!! Expensive to shoot so I save them for game but I just love watching the dirt spray up from the back stop.

Back