I have a Taurus Raging Bull in that caliber with a 6 1/2" ported barrel. I assure you; it doesn't just look mean, it is mean. I've shot Magtech 260 gr bullets through it and even with the ported barrel, the recoil is tremendous. I wouldn't say unbearable, but after each shot, I paused for at least 30 seconds before the next one. The recoil goes straight back to your hands. It feels like someone slapped me really hard in the hands. I can't comment on accuracy yet since I wanted to get the feel of it initially. I did do better than I thought, but that is really not saying much.

Even with the recoil, I still enjoy shooting this gun. I would recommend you get the Taurus or if you select another type of gun, get the barrel ported. FWIW, I got a box of 20 rounds of Magtech ammo for $18.99, but that's about as cheap as I've found around here. Hope this helps.

I've now rented a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 twice.

I've learned there is "medium velocity" ammunition which makes a big difference in recoil.

Go to http://www.winchester.com, then Handgun Ammunition.

Choose .454 under Cartridge, then "No Preference" for Use and Brand.

You should get three kinds of ammo -- note the huge difference in ft lbs.

I'm used to semi-autos -- haven't really figured out how to best hold a revolver, and it shows on this Ruger. I frequently lose grip with my left hand, when using the high perf ammo.

I have a couple of Freedom Arms Casulls. While the recoil may be considerable for some I personally don't have a problem with it. A lot of it depends on the experience of the shooter. Those who haven't fired a lot of magnum handguns will consider it to be a hard kicker. I prefer the premier grade with the hardwood stocks in the unported version.

The powerhouse loads can be hard to get used to, but they deliver the goods. No pain, no gain. On the other hand, I found that the Ruger SRH .454 is easier to shoot with Hogue one-piece grips. Otherwise, the trigger guard smacks my middle finger. I'm coming to the conclusion that the Bisley frame is the ideal choice, and I don't know why Ruger didn't use it. Maybe that's on the drawing board.

I shot a Ruger SRH in .454 recently. It was quite an experience! I've fired full .44 mag loads in a S&W Model 29, so I know a little bit about recoil. The .454's were kinda fun to shoot, maybe about 5 rounds per range trip! I found the heavy bullets more pleasant than the lighter ones. The light end of the bullet range recoil sharper vs. the heavy ones being just stout. I had a thin leather glove on and the light ones provided a bit of pain with each shot.

All in all, I would prefer a carbine or rifle to a .454 if I needed that much power. To each his's own!

I've shot the Freedom Arms 454 a couple times

It kicks a quite a bit more than a S&W 44 Magnum. It's not for recoil sensitive persons. The peacemaker style of the FA has less apparent kick than a double action revolver because the grip slips in your hand and rolls back. The sawhandle DA grip kicks straight back, as GI Joe noted when he fired the Taurus.

My range experience shows that the two or three guys who owned the FA 454s would not shoot them themselves after their initial familiarization fire but would try to find somebody else to touch off a few rounds and watch the reaction.

This makes sense to me because in my view the vast majority of shooters find the 45 ACP to have too much recoil and it takes a fanatic (read TFL member) to regularly shoot the Colt automatic. The 454 is a whole nother thing.

I purchased a .454 Ruger Super Redhawk in December 1999 and I've learned to love it. The recoil is awesome. The power is incredible. Mild .45 Long Colt rounds in this gun have virtually no recoil, a real pleasure to shoot. When you load that cylinder up with some high test Casull rounds you have to hang on tight. This gun will make you flinch, works best to work up to full power loads. Incredible power, versatile gun, try one out, you'll be impressed!!

Back