454 Super Redhawk Moon Clips

1972RedNeck

Are there thin enough moonclips out there to shoot 45 ACP from my 454 Super Redhawk without machining the cylinder? I have moonclips for my Taurus Judge that work great, but all the clips I see for Super Redhawks say the cylinder has to be machined...

Measure the clearance between the rear face of the cylinder and the recoil shield on both guns, And let us know. I'm betting the Judge has a lot more "space available" than the Redhawk does.

Measure the clips that do work in your Judge, does the Redhawk even have enough room they will fit and allow the cylinder to close?? Does the Redhawk have enough extra room to allow the cylinder to not just close but also rotate?

I have a Webley "shaved" to use half moon clips. One brand of half moon clips works flawlessly. Others do not. Full moon clips (or at least none I've found) won't work. The action will close, but the full moons are enough thicker that the cylinder will not turn. .45AR brass will not work in my Webley. Same reason. Rims are just too thick for the gun I have. A different gun, cut slightly differently would work with them.

I say you must have the cylinder machined for 100% reliability
https://youtu.be/aMDK-3fBA_0

DSC009311.jpg

Back