454 SRH and cracked cylinders

mobias

Okay, limit the responses to those of you who actually own these. Don't wanna hear about the brother-in-law's cousin.
From time to time this claim has popped up. So has the claim that Ruger has acknowledged the problem. Well, if Ruger has acknowledged the problem, then they are implicitly acknowledging the potential for other 454 SRHs that are out there and haven't cracked cylinders yet, to crack as well. This is a potentially catastrophic situation if it really exists. If this is on the level - and I am not sure it really is - it is inconceivable to me that Ruger hasn't recalled all their 454s. A cylinder on any revolver can crack. I understand that. The question that needs to be answered is: are the cylinders cracking because of a design flaw, or are they cracking because of dangerous handloads? I have yet to see a picture posted on any of the gun boards of a cracked cylinder on a Ruger 454, nor have I heard of anyone locally having that problem. I have heard of difficult case extraction with some brands of ammo, but its unclear as to whether its an ammo problem or a shooter problem ( I have seen people shoot considerable quantities of 45 Colt and then turn around and load 454 and shoot it without cleaning the cylinder first - dumb). I have a Ruger 454 on order and would like to think that I haven't purchased a hand grenade. Speak up, folks. Thanks in advance.

mobias:

I have no knowledge of cylinder cracking but have you ever seen the cylinder walls? They are bit thin for me, but I do like the frame, I would just have to have Bowen make me a 5 shot cylinder.

side note, whats up with your sig?

One Word: Casull.

Two Words: 75,000+ CUP

Three words: Factory ammo's Lame

Why I won't by Ruger?

Four Words: Hi-Cap Capitulation, UN Treatys

Any Questions?

I was really hoping to hear from some SRH 454 owners. By the way, the signature is a line from the movie Bowfinger. I realize that many people have shyed away from the Ruger because it is a six shot instead of a five. They feel that the walls are too thin. What they may or may not realize is that the steel used in the 454 SRH is different from that used in the 44 SRH. I was merely trying to get as many 454 SRH owners as possible to chime in on this so we can put this to rest one way or the other. Again, I realize fully that any cylinder can crack. But what has been floating around is the notion that Ruger has "acknowledged a problem", and as far as I know Ruger has acknowledged no such thing or has even had to address any such thing. Is there a real problem, or are a handful of people sore because Ruger didn't build the gun they wanted? Again, keep the responses serious and not of the " I'm smarter than you because everyone knows you should only use Freedom Arms" sort. Thanks.

I need to see that movie.

I'm kinda supprised that there haven't been more post from SRH owners. I read the post about the metal in the gun. Interesting too.

OK, I'm a .454 SRH owner, handload to the max, and never had a problem. If that hunk of steel breaks, it'll be a miracle!

Edit: but on the other hand, it could go tomorrow! Whether it does or not, it's been a lot of fun! :D

Last edited:
Mobias, I don't think the problem is strength. We already know the burst strength of the new metal cylinders.

I've have run the 44Mag superred up to 454 levels for sometime and so have countless other. Its long term strength is well known.

The new guns may ultimately fatigue and that is the unknown. So you you can load hot today but it is unknown how long that strength is retained when 70ksi and over loads are used.

I think the Freedom Arms answer is given so often due its known long term durability at loads even in the 80ksi range.

Unfortunately, you will have to wait before the answer is known.

-CAL

I've got a .454 SRH, and have fired 500 rounds of moderate ( for the caliber) handloads, and another 300 or so .45 Colt rounds. I heard the rumors about the cylinders, and then read an article saying the rumor was false.

I like mine, will continue to fire it, and I'm not worried about it.

I know, maybe a cylinder cracked when somebody's cousin's friend shot an alligator in a sewer in New York!

Back