.454 Casull & .45 Colt

AC's & 45's

Is it possible to safely fire .45 Colt in a gun chambered for .454 Casull? I am not very familiar with either cartridge. I would like to buy a magnum class revolver this summer to compliment my .357 mag. I don't want to be limited to shooting only full power loads.
I have also been seriously considering A RedHawk in .44 mag. Am I correct in my understanding that I can safely use .44 specials for lighter factory loads.

My loading bench is currently covered up and most likely will be for a long time. One of the perils of living in a small house.

Is it possible to safely fire .45 Colt in a gun chambered for .454 Casull?

Most .454 Casulls can also fire .45 Colt.

I am not very familiar with either cartridge. I would like to buy a magnum class revolver this summer to compliment my .357 mag. I don't want to be limited to shooting only full power loads.
I have also been seriously considering A RedHawk in .44 mag. Am I correct in my understanding that I can safely use .44 specials for lighter factory loads.

Get a .44 magnum first. You can also shoot .44 spl through most .44 magnums. The recoil of the .454 Casull is tremendous in most revolvers. I think you are better off getting a .44 magnum first (it has a lot of recoil, but it is controllable).

After firing either the .45 Colt in a .454 Casull, or after firing a .44 Spec. in a .44 mag, clean the cylinder thoroughly. Firing the shorter round will leave residue in the cylinder, which can build up and make it harder to chamber the full length rounds.

Firing the shorter rounds in moderation, if you keep the guns clean, has been OK in my guns.

All .454 Casull revolvers can be used with .45 Colt ammunition. Freedom Arms does not reccomend this in their revolvers due to the tight tolerences where some erosion could cause problems chambering .454 rounds. The Ruger and Taurus should have not have a problem as they are built rather crude. If you have a Freedom Arms Casull you can order and extra cylinder to use when firing .45 Colts. You can also get cylinders to shoot .45 Auto and .45 Win Mag.

From Buffalo Bore's page.

.45 Colt Magnum

325 gr. L.B.T.- L.F.N. (1325 fps / M.E. 1267 ft. lbs.)
300 gr. Speer J.F.N. (1325 fps / M.E. 1170 ft. lbs.)
260 gr. J.H.P. (1450 fps / M.E. 1214 ft. lbs.)

Heavy .44

305 gr. L.B.T.- L.F.N. (1325 fps / M.E. 1189 ft. lbs.)
300 gr. Speer J.F.N. (1300 fps / M.E. 1126 ft. lbs.)
270 gr. Speer G.D. (1450 fps / M.E. 1260 ft. lbs.)

Back