.454 Cassul carbine?

Long Path

Rich1's thread got me interested: does anyone make such an animal? Why the heck NOT?

In a Freedom Arms 7.5" revolver, you can get 1800 fps with a 250 g. bullet. Imagine what you'd get with a 16" locked-breech carbine!!

If there's a market for the .444 Marlin with its 240 grain bullets at 2300, why wouldn't there be one for the .454 Cassul at nearly the same velocity? For you guys that go nuts for a cartridge combo that suits your rifle and your pistol, you could either carry a .454 pistol (like the new one from Taurus, that actually got favorable reviews from Jim Wilson) or a Blackhawk with stout .45 LC and plenty of extra, that would fire sort of like a .454 Cassull Special in the carbine.

I know several people with Trapper .45 LC's that would love it if their rifles chambered the more powerful round.

Anyone heard of such a thing?

Too true,

I am a big fan of the 444 Marlin. It is too bad that PMC does not load their Starfire bullet in this caliber. That would make an excellent defensive/police carbine.

Now that a company other than Freedom Arms makes a revolver in 454, I think we might se a lever gun in 454.

Currently only Browning and Thompson Center make single shot rifles in .454. It won't be long before somebody comes out with a lever action rifle.

Note also that Ruger is now chambering their Blackhawk in the .454 Cassul. This thing has really gone mainstream, and Marlin is really missing a bet by not offering their Guide Gun in it.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Hank, I so rarely fire factory ammo, it wouldn't really be that big an issue! Plus, you could always shoot .45 LC in it when you came up short. I own one rifle that has NEVER fired a round of factory, and it's got about 1000 rds through it (.300 Win Mag).

Plus, that's about what you pay for premium factory ammo, these days, and there are people lining up to buy Federal Premium Gold Medal and Winchester Premium centerfire rifle cartridges, which list at around $20+/box for the bigger-bores.

But I was shocked to see a 50-rd box of the stuff for $49.95 at a gunshow, no less!

Fortunately, the one time I was shooting .454 Cassull factory ammo, it was on somebody else's dime, and he got the stuff for free to test-fire and then write about it. (He gets paid to do this?!?)
L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Keith, I'm with you on the reloading but you have to come up with the 454 brass and it's
not inexpensive either. A lever action doesn't "hide brass on a tennis court" like some other configurations but I think lost brass would become an issue.
I would love to see one though as I have the brass and reload for my FA 454 revolver.
Hank

Back