.452 plated hollow base bullets ok for 45 Colt?

FoghornLeghorn

The bullets are Berry's plated. I'm using Vihtavuori N330 powder, 10.4 grains, 1093 fps. This is the recommended starting load on the above web site.

The web site does not differentiate between hollow base and standard, but since it is a starting load, it should be ok?

The gun is a modern Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP.

I'm asking because in my Lyman loading book it gives bullet diameter as .456 inch in the cross section. But next to that says cast bullets are .452 inch. And in the loading tables for commercial bullets it's .4515 inch or .451 inch. Hornady is .452.

No mention of hollow base in this manual.

what bullet weight?

Based on berry's website they make 1 bullet intended for the 45 colt, a 250g flat point. However that flat point is sized at .452

However berry's also uses the .452 diameter for its 45 auto bullets, which is 0.001 over sized, similar to a lead bullet.

just make sure to keep em at or under 1250fps and I doubt you will have any problems.

Lyman loading book it gives bullet diameter as .456 inch
That's the case mouth diameter, not the bullet.;)
I'm using Vihtavuori N330 powder, 10.4 grains, 1093 fps...
That's for a 185gr bullet, NOT a standard 45 Colt 240 gr.
https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=53
if you're actually using a 185gr/light 45 ACP target bullet, OK in the Ruger... strength-wise
(I advise the flat base, as the hollow-base probably isn't going to like the revolver cylinder gap/forcing cone)

Last edited:
Ahem...

45-Colt-SAAMI-Lyman.jpg

See the problem when [they] leave out the fine print? :rolleyes:

As to the "mouth diameter" note in my previous post....
Mea (estupido) culpa.

Last edited:
Back