450 Bushmaster

DMichalski

Inactive
I am new to reloading, just a couple of years. I love it! I wish I had started earlier, but it is still a great past time to do in my retirement. I recently bought the 450 Bushmaster for my AR. What I am curious about is I found loads for 300 grain bullet and CFE BLK powder. My question here is I also bought 250 grain bullets, yet I do not see a a recipe on Hodgdon using CFE BLK with that grain of bullet. Due to the powder shortage, is it possible to load the 250 grain with the same powder but at a different amount? I should mention that the bullets are both Hornady XTP's, i.e., 250 & 300. My thought here, possibly incorrect, is that if you can load the 300 grain with CFE BLK why not the 250 grain?
I appreciate your input... if I have posted on the wrong forum, could you direct me to the correct one...
Daniel

Welcome to the forum. Please pop over to the thread for new members in the General forum and introduce yourself.

Because the 250 is lighter, you can safely use the loads for the 275 grain Barnes with it, which are slightly heavier than those for the 300. You will actually need more powder for a lighter, shorter bullet, and that gets you onto the world of working up loads while watching for pressure signs. If you are not comfortable with that, just don't exceed the maximum load for the 275.

Thanks Unclenick!
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question... again, thank you so much, it is appreciated!

Hornady developed this cartridge and their recommendation is Lil'Gun. Like factory ammo, 5 250FTX into one hole.

Thanks!

Thanks GeauxTide!
Yes, I have seen that recommendation... the problem was, with powder shortages and all, was to find something to substitute. I was really lucky getting the CFE BLK, not so much with Lil'Gun. One day, perhaps, things will get back to normal.
Thanks again!!!

Back