450 Bushmaster max Pressure and Bolt Thrust.

kilotanker22

WARNING, although I will not be sharing any specific load data in this post, I will be discussing loading above maximum published data. Neither myself or TFL can be held responsible for what you do with the information that comes to light through the course of this thread. I strongly recommend that you do not try what I will be attempting. This thread is about an issue that I have experienced and my theory surrounding details on SAAMI maximum pressure ratings across different rifle platforms.

Not too long ago I picked up a Ruger American rifle in 450 Bushmaster. I can see that SAAMI maximum pressure is 38.5K PSI. I also know that the 460 S&W has a SAAMI max pressure of 65K PSI. I am assuming that the lower max pressure of the 450 Bushmaster is due to the cartridges common use in AR platform firearms.

I thought to myself that the 5.56x45 Nato round has a max pressure of 55K PSI so why does the 450 have a max pressure rating 16.K PSI lower than the 5.56? The only sensible conclusion I can draw is that it must have to do with the amount of thrust applied to the bolt during firing. The increased cross sectional area of the bore would create significantly higher rearward thrust on the bolt. Also this cartridge has a rebated rim. The rim of the case being smaller than the body would induce a greater stress on the smaller diameter cartridge base.

Now, we all know that modern bolt action rifles have a significantly higher strength in their lock up than an AR 15 bolt. My question is, in a modern bolt action rifle is it reasonable to assume that the max 38.5K PSI pressure rating given to this cartridge could be safely exceeded, but by how much?

This question stems from a recent trip to the range where I tested two powder charges of both CFE BLK and Lil Gun. What I found was a little surprising to me with the CFE BLK, but that is not the cause of this discussion.

With LIL Gun I started with the max listed load from the Hornady tenth edition book. The reason that I started at max load was because I was concerned by the amount of case volume that was empty with all of the charges of this powder. This cartridge uses small primers so naturally when lighting that much ball powder I went with magnum primers. I must admit that I use Wolf small rifle magnum primers, because I wanted to save my CCI 450 for my Creedmoor. I have used the Wolf primers in both the Creedmoor and my 5.56 with no trouble other than a larger than normal ES, however I did not expect to have the amount trouble that I had with the 450. I figured that igniting a dose of faster burning [shotgun powder like LIL Gun would be easier than igniting, say, H4350 that burns much slower.

I loaded at two different lengths, one right at the lands and one to the cannelure. The bullets seated to the cannelure were jumping .130" until they made contact with the lands. Here is the fun part.

With LIl Gun powder and the bullet seated to the lands Every single round went off, but they were hang firing just a little bit. Velocity was about 150 fps lower than I was expecting after seeing the results I got with the CFE BLK powder, which was a compressed load. However, the velocity spread was pretty good with an ES of only 30 fps across a 5 shot string. So I decided to go ahead and fire the rounds with the bullets seated deeper in hopes that the reduction of free space inside the case would allow for more powder to be ignited by the primer, boy was I wrong...

With the Lil Gun powder charge and the bullets that were seated to the cannelure, I had a 100% failure to fire and the fifth one that I tried lodged the bullet into the rifling. Luckily it was not stuck too far into the lands and I was able to hammer the bullet out with a wooden dowel. At first I thought that the primers were DOA. After coming home I saw that all primers had fired, although to what degree they actually performed as designed I can not confirm.

Now I plan to test the same load using the CCI 450 to see if my problem was the primer or the powder, although at this point, I intend to increase my powder charge by .5 Grains increments until I can hopefully achieve reliable ignition while maintaining a safe pressure. This brings me to my concern with bolt thrust.

At this point there is no sign of excessive pressure on the case head, bolt lift, primers at all. The primers are not even cratering around the dimple left by the firing pin. Case head diameter is the same as the standard cartridges and using small primers so I am not concerned with gas leakage past the primer at this point. I personally don't see a reason that this cartridge should be limited to the same 38.5K pressure rating that it is limited to in the AR platform rifle. In an AR rifle I would be concerned with sheering bolt lugs under higher pressure due to the increased bolt thrust. This is a documented issue with 6.5 Grendel bolts loaded to full power in AR rifles. Hornady also provides different data for bolt guns and gas guns in their 6mm ARC cartridge. Again I presume that this is due to the increased bolt thrust shearing bolt lugs when loaded to higher pressures. That cartridge has a max SAAMI pressure of 52,000K PSI if memory serves me correctly.

In my Ruger American rifle, all three lugs make contact within the lug recesses in the receiver on about 85% of the bearing surface. It is my theory that in a modern bolt action rifle, there is no reason that this cartridge can not be loaded to pressures higher than SAAMI maximum pressure of 38.5K I will update you all with my progress.

I use Lil gun in my 44 mag and IIRC I've seen warnings about having too little case capacity used, it also has a reputation for fireballs at the muzzle due to unburnt powder following the bullet down the bore (which I love in my 44's :D). Maybe low powder fill vs case capacity and inadequate primer ignition contributed to your problems. Thank God you weren't using a semi-auto and squeezed off another shot behind your squib!

You mention CFE BLK--where it works well generally so does AA1680 in my experience, which happens to be what I use in my 300 gr 458 socom loads which I'm guessing are similar to the bushmaster. When I was eyeing building a big-bore AR I decided the socom was a superior case design over the bushmaster, besides having a shoulder it uses large magnum pistol primers.

More about pressure ratings relative to bullet baring surface here.

Last edited:
Stagpanther, all of these loads were shooting 300 grain Sierra flat points, and Hornady 300 grain XTP mag.

I was able to achieve 2000 fps with the CFE BLK powder, but with ES and SD numbers that I would generally view as unacceptable.

KILO: What's the usable-volume Loading Ratio (%) for the Lil`Gun Load?

The following is opinion only:
I can't see why 55,000 psi wouldn't be a suitable 450B working pressure in a bolt action.

The following is for consideration only:
Stay w. the mag/Wolf primers, but place a standard-weight paper disk over the flashhole/under the powder.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6861812&postcount=7
counterintuitive, it is, yesssss

Stag: Ain't this fun ? ;):mad::eek:

If you read Tim LeGendre's development of the .450 Professional, you will see that he did, initially have a higher pressure than what Bushmaster designated. That was due to their want to use a carbine gas tube in the AR15. After tinkering with a .450 BM 16" for a while, I made a barrel with a much faster twist 18" barrel and rifle length gas. It was kind of dubbed the .450 Corvette. I was pushing 230s into the 2600 fps range and 265s at 2200. Bolt thrust was not an issue, and neither was ignition. In most cases, with ARs, the bolt issues are due to excessively overgassed, not actual peak pressure. With an overgassed AR, attempting to extract the case while the pressure is still high is what eats bolts...not what we typically call bolt thrust. Tim and I had some great discussions about these very topics, and the development of a 9mm bullet pushed out of a modified .223 case. :)

LilGun has a tendency to clump and with low charges and less than optimum primers, you can get slow or no ignition in large cases.

Odd that you had problems with Lil gun. I recently started loading for the 450 BM and is seems like that is everyone's go to powder. I've had decent luck with IMR 4227, Alliant 2400 and Shooters World Blackout. Most of my reloading has been geared towards light loads with cast bullets. Light being a relative term as most of the loads are 285 to 300 grain bullets going around 1,500 FPS. I don't believe I've experienced any hang fires even with loads below starting data, and certainly no squibs.

I may have accidentally discovered my problem. I decided to start over resetting my dies and inspecting each case and measuring dimensions after each step. Generally with a straight wall cartridge I expand the case mouth just enough to get the base of the bullet started into the case. What I found was pretty odd.

The expanding mandrel inside the expander die travels a fair distance into a sized case before it begins to flare the mouth of the case. In this instance The mandrel was traveling nearly the entire inside length of the case before the step began expanding the case mouth. This is not abnormal, but something told me to check the case's grip on a seated bullet. Imagine my surprise when I could twist and remove the bullet without a whole lot of effort with my fingers. Again I checked to see if I was flaring too much which was not the case.

I removed the mandrel from the die and measured the diameter of the mandrel before the flaring step. To my surprise the mandrel measured .4515". This sent a red flag for me since the Sierra bullets I am using are also .4515". This makes me think that the oversized mandrel was causing the case to not sufficiently grip the bullet, made obvious by my ability to remove the bullets by hand after seating them.

Instead of calling RCBS for a replacement, I chucked the mandrel in my drill press and used a piece of 600 grit sand paper to slowly reduce the diameter of the mandrel before the flaring step to .450".

After this was complete I reassembled the die and made a few dummy rounds. My bullet grip problem seems to be resolved.

My theory now, is that the case not having sufficient grip on the bullet, was not allowing pressure to build and the primer was simply unseating the bullets before enough pressure could build for the powder to burn. The fact that I had 100% of cartridges fire when the bullet was seated against the lands supports this theory. I figure the bullet sitting against the lands allowed pressure to build enough to burn the powder and send it down range.

I do still intend to load this a little hotter than published data. I am gonna re-test the Hornady Max published charge with this bullet weight and powder. I am also going to increase my powder charge by 5% and see where that leads me. There is still an awful lot of empty space in the case with the current charge weight and a bullet seated jam minus .020".

Hopefully I can get to the range and test these loads today and update this thread.

I believe the reason I did not have this same problem with CFE BLK was due to the heavier powder charge and higher percentage of the case filled, igniting a sufficient amount of powder to expand the case against the chamber walls

I really enjoy reading threads like these. I have neither the experience or knowledge to try anything like this but I do, very much, like following others who are out there actually doing these things.

A very small nit to pick for others reading this thread is NOT to use a wooden dowel for a squib load. I suspect it usually works out okay as was the OP's experience but it can go badly too and it seems a soft metal rod is the thing to use. This advice comes from this old thread and a picture I remember of a rifle with a wooden dowel that splintered and jammed in the barrel and the owner having to use a drill on the wooden dowel. That thread is here:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564806&highlight=dowel

Using AA1680 for 350 gr interlocks in my socom AR it fills the case nicely right up to where you're flirting with the max charge, and the average velocity--oddly enough--was just under 1680 fps with an SD of around 14 fps. Shoots well too--if I'm on my game and don't flinch at the tremendous "pop" I can keep it at or under MOA @100--hard to do with a bullet that is nearly a half inch wide.:) Unfortunately Hornady is torturing the .458 market by only occasionally running these excellent bullets.:(

I ran the 450B through QuickLoad again looking for max fill/85+%burn/Max velocity/40ksi.
Guess which powders won (again)...

Bzzzzzzzz . . . . wrong answer Hans:

In order:
Norma 200
Vihtavuori N120
Ramshot X-Terminator
Hodgdon Lil'Gun
Alliant Reloder- 7
Hodgdon H335
IMR 4198

Reducing the size of the mandrel in the expander die seems to have solved my problem. Even with the same charge I had trouble with the other day. I was able to safely raise my charge weight by 5%. Increasing the charge weight by 5% got my velocity to about where Hornady showed their max charge from a 16 inch barrel.

No pressure signs to speak of and accuracy is decent. I did switch over to the CCI 450 primer though.

Back